Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siezed rear strut bolt removal

1. you have already found out their siezed

2. A week before you want to remove the struts drill a hole into each right through the bolt. I didnt go deep enough and missed by about 1/16th. Use a smaller bit and drill right through it. Then spray pb blaster or your favorate penatrating fluid every day for a week. Also spray it onto the captive nut and the part of the bolt thats sticks through it every day.

3. Buy new bolts and washers. Also new nuts just in case. 10mm x 1.25 threads, 70mm long grade 10.9. These are part numbers from greggs distributors.
    The grade 10 washers do not have a very large OD. Get a grade 8 wąsher as well with a larger OD i still have to do that yet.

4. Try to remove it and It come right off and your done. Or if it didnt or you didnt have a week go to the next step.

5. Work the bolt back and forth with a ratchet or an impact thats not powerful enough to twist off the bolt until its loose on the captive nut. It will still be tight on the strut bushing. Use penatrating fluid back on the captive nut while doing this.

6. Once its nice and loose its time to cut the bolt. I did one side with a sawzall (aka reciprocating saw) and it took 2 hours and i cut into the axle in 2 spots that i didnt want to. Went through a lot of blades, it was a lot of work and i wasnt happy with the result.
    Do yourself a favour and buy one of these air tools that spin a 3inch diameter cut off wheel at 30k rpm. You can get a cheap one for probly $20. Get a pack of cut off wheels, 5 minimum because they need to stay close to the 3inch diameter to work. Once they start getting smaller they dont reach far enough. The 3in diameter allows you to get in there nicely without cutting the rear beam. Get 1/32 thick cut off wheels.

7. Start on the side closest to the wheel (which is removed). From the bottom Cut half way through the bushing. Cut as close to the strut as you can rather than the axle so that your less likely to cut the beam and so you can turn the bolt out after.
    Then either take a breaker bar and turn the bolt untill the rubber part of the bushing twists free or light it on fire. I found twisting it off was nicer.
    Then turn the bolt so your cut moves 45 degrees. Cut again, turn 45 degrees, repeat until you have done all 4 sides. If its not all the way through take a chisel and hammer it a bit. Then take your impact on the bolt and go back and fort till it snaps free where you cut.

8. Loosen but do not remove nuts at the top of the strut.

9. Push strut toward tire so you have more room to cut on the inner side.
    Do the same thing there. Cut, turn 45 degrees, cut, repeat. Same thing again. Chisel and punch, then spin it with the impact while twisting it around till it snaps free.

10. Remove strut.

11. Theres a piece of the bolt left in the captive nut. Heat the captive nut with a torch. Take needle nose vicegrips and turn the bolt out. This part was easy for me. No need to pound out the captive nut. But if for some reason you have to thats why you bought the nuts.

12. If your going to take the spindle off to adjust camber you do it while the strut is off. Remove drum so you dont melt the seal.
    Heat each bolt and remove with an impact. Remove spindle and clean up studs with a wire brush on a drill. Put antieze on them. Either reinstall or start your camber adjustment. Also heat that 10mm bolt that holds the brake line clamp before you snap it off.

13. Put a ton of anti zieze on the new strut bolt and inside the strut bushing and into the captive nut.

14. Install strut bolts hand tight.

15. Service your brakes and repack your bearings.

16. Reinstall drum and tires.

17. Lower car, then tighten strut bolts.

First time i did this was 6 or 7 years ago, took 2 of us 7 or 8 hours and involved cutting off the bracket that wraps around the strut and welding it back on after, smashing a brake line with an air chisel and having to stretch and re-flare it.
    This first side with the sawzall took 2hrs, second side took me an hour but if i were to do another i would guess half an hour.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Very nice write-up, great pictures!
    I really feel for you northern folks, I guess Arizona cars are like cheating, got tired of seaboard salty Virgina
    No car too fast !

Comment

I never had a problem with the bolt being seized in the captive nut, mine were always seized in the strut itself. I cut the steel strap that the bolt goes through before it goes through the strut, then cut the strut itself and remove the bolt. I had the strap rewelded back in place and went from there. Great write up

Comment

Originally posted by jbibb1 View Post
        I never had a problem with the bolt being seized in the captive nut, mine were always seized in the strut itself. I cut the steel strap that the bolt goes through before it goes through the strut, then cut the strut itself and remove the bolt. I had the strap rewelded back in place and went from there. Great write up
        Thats what i did the first time too. I just didnt really like how far we bent that strap back. Welding is fine, but you work harden metal when you bend it. The car has survived a lot since then though!

Comment

FestYboy said this in another thread:

Y'all are making it more difficult than it needs to be.<br />
          <br />
          The answer is heat. And lots of it. <br />
          Remove as much of the bushing as possible, then torch the rest, that will heat up the collet and release the bolt. Quick hit with an impact and she's out. The problem with the factory unit is that it can't breathe once moisture gets in there and the tolerance is too tight without any grease to dispel the moisture.<br />
          <br />
          You want MAP gas as a minimum for this, propane doesn't have the BTUs

I didnt want to try it but its an option. If you do it dont overheat the strut, let the bushing fire get too big, boil your brake fluid or melt the grease seal on your drum.

Comment

Man if only I had this last monday had to take it to the pros
            92 Festiva L - bp & hydro g, advanced coilovers, aspire brake swapped

Comment

I still have to get ny RR bolt out. I cut the shock off as well as the rubber. Just the inner sleeve is left.
              If I had a hoist, there would be no problem. It was a good excuse for me to buy some smaller tools on eBay.
              Especially some 8" and 6" pipe wrenches + 1/4" drill. I don't have much room under the blocks.
              I will let everyone know which tool works. My acetylene torch is standing by, just in case.

Comment

I'm sure heat would work to release the sleeve from the bolt but I would rather cut the strap (I didn't bend it - I cut both sides and removed it with the bolt) than smell that burning rubber of the lower mount.

Comment

Originally posted by fudge View Post
                  Man if only I had this last monday [emoji14] had to take it to the pros
                  Your story is part of the reason i wrote this the same day i did it, [emoji14] too bad i didnt do mine earlier but hopefully this helps someone else.

Comment

Had the same prob on a festiva and aspire I think it's a common problem use plunty of oil and use anti seize durring re assembly

Comment

Working...
                    X