Anyone been to the Ozarks??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone been to the Ozarks??

Ok, so my brother calls me the other day from Albuquerque and want to plan this years current river trip,(we go every year), Anyways, I’m thinkin’ I’ve been here for a couple of weeks and haven’t produced anything, so here goes:

For those of you who don’t know the Current river is a spring fed crystal clear, beautiful stream that runs right through the Ozark Mountains and eventually ends up at, you guessed it, the Lake of the Ozarks. The location is kind of remote, ummmm, ok that’s a understatement, Have you guys ever seen “Deliverance” with Robert Redford? Yep it was filmed close to this part of Missouri. Don’t let that scare you off, keep reading.

Its kind of hard to put into words how much fun this place can be, but imagine this, , how about a place where you can go with your wife and kids, grandparents, grandkids, people you like, and people you don’t . I know what your thinking “sounds like Church”, but just wait I just getting warmed up. Now Imaging everybody having fun., beer in hand, beer in each hand, kind of fun.

this is a pretty typical scene of one of the “hot spots”

Ok I know, I posted this in the meets and events and I am getting there, These are not mine I just happened across them:

So I was thinking this would be a great place for a meet. Do not be swayed by my promises of canoe after canoe load of college girls getting their drink on. Peeling off clothes to stay cool, or even the caves, cliff diving, or doing all the above with your three year old boy in the canoe having a blast too, (at least mine did last year) +(my brothers four year old). I have seen ppl bring their dogs, cats and even a hoarse or two. Everybody has fun.

Well I like a big grand finale, so without further adu,,, o , wait a minute, I forgot something,, If you are coming from the north you will drive right by this:

Its pretty close.

Back to the point, you all might be asking yourself why the heck you would want to drive all the to BFE for canoeing when this is a auto forum, well that’s what I have saved till the end, the DRIVE!!!!!! The roads through this part of the country are some of the best mountain roads that I have seen. It does not seem to matter if you are driving a bicycle or a bulldozer, I feel like a formula 1 driver on those roads, top speed is about fifty, the speed limit is fifty five. Now I cannot testify the drive up from the south, but the drive down will have any girl begging you to slow down. Literally, unbelievable. If you’r into that sort of thing.

Well there is a lot of stuff I have left out (I didn’t want waste a lot of time on a dumb idea) ummm…O

Peak season is the standard Memorial day to Labor day. We will be going in July, witch weekend is still up in the air.

Cost: Camp site rental, 7-10usd. Canoes 40-50usd. It’s the most bang for the buck that I know of, I figure about 100 per person, from walking out the door to pulling back in the drive. But I buy a LOT of beer.

This is probably where we will stay this year: http://www.jadwincanoe.com/map.html

So thanks for reading, I hope everyone has a good week. Peace

With enough interest, I would bet some of us from up north would attend!
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

So I would love to come, I want to take at least 3 long trips in my "extremely hard to ride in" festiva as my friends call it. :-)

Can you give me an address near where you are going? I would like to mapquest it and see how far it is.

Comment

HCR 1, Box 11, Eminence, MO. 65466

should do

Comment

That is a great idea .
          I have been down Current river several times
          I go to Branson every year , I own a Condo there .

With enough interest , I hope it can work , bring tents and camp and canoe a 1 day trip .
          The last time I went we was on a 3 day trip .
          We started at Baptist camp and went all the way to Pull tight , I think ??
          I know it was way past the springs , they are way cool .
          ------------------------------------------------
          The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
          Smart Passion white with H-D interior
          HD2500 Duramax Chevy
          Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
          Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
          Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
          Z28 LS1 power 500 +
          90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
          It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

I'll go if its this coming July.....thats means I have to go splurge on new camping gear!!
            ---------------------------------------------------
            The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
            BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Yea, Last year we went overboard a little, spent four days three canoeing and one sight seeing. Plus there was a lot more ppl than I origanllly expected. All the better. I think there was fourteen all togeather, all family. We did Jacks Fork the first day, (for the first time), a good time, but wasent enough white water for me. Babtist Camp is "The Show" if I remember right I think the guy told us we could go even higher than that. Not in to Montauk, thats illegal, but closer to the "top" than Babtist camp.

There is so much to see that you cant do it all in one trip and still get any drinking done! I think I will go ahead and pick a weekend tonight, it would be easy to change this early in the year.

Camping gear is great, lastyear I bought a me and the little boy wetsuits, money well spent, the water is colddddddddddd

Comment

Is the fishing good in that river??
                The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

It has always been good when I was there .
                  ------------------------------------------------
                  The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                  Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                  HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                  Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                  Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                  Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                  Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                  90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                  It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Is the fishing good in that river??

Dude I gotta tell ya what I seen last year!!

Two guys underwater fishing!!!

Wish I had my camera. They had wetsuits w/full snorkling gear, and little fishing poles, like ice poles, They were completely submerged, standing on a corner in about five feet of water, bent over, all that you could see was their snorkle poking out.

They were catchin' the fire out of um. Neatist thing I ever saw

Comment

Well im out, I never really realized how far the Ozarks are from me, more than 1000 miles each way. Would have been a blast, but I would have to get a full week off from work just to drive there and back.

Hope you all have fun.

Comment

Hell I'll go. I'll even bring my canoe if I can think of how to get it there.
                        It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Been to the Ozarks many times, floated the current starting at Eminemce a couple of times. The current/jacks fork float is pretty and there are numerous other float trip possibilities in the Ozarks plus the Lake of the Ozarks. Lot of national parks.
                          sigpic
                          The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                          https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                          Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Too bad I'm too far.

Here in West Virginia, we have tons of roads similar to what you're talking about.
                            One of the ways I can take home from work is even gnarlier than what you described I think. I defy anybody in ANY unmodded car to take this mountain at 55mph, which is the limit. Maybe, with some severe mods, but no way stock.
                            It's a blast at 35-45 though, if you like a little tire squeel with your curves. And the best part is, when it rains or snows, nobody likes to drive on it, so it's drift city. :twisted:

Anyway, sounds like fun. Sorry I'm gonna miss it. I'll have to go home the fun way tomorrow now that I'm thinking of it.
                            Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                            91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Hey,

Whens the St. Louis meet?
                              Maybe we could meet here instead of St, Louis?
                              Not my call, as I'm not organizing the meet, but just an idea.
                              Doesn't matter to me about 750-800 miles one way for either location.
                              But FF'07 (Waterford Hills, MI) is usually in July so might have to nail that down before we try to pull this off!

Pu241
                              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                              '92 Aqua parts Car
                              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                              Your holy ghost will not save you.
                              Your God plutonium will not save you.
                              In fact...
                              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                              X