FF.com DVD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FF.com DVD?

Any of you super-experienced Festiva guys ever think of putting together a DVD/video of the different engine swaps, suspension & brake upgrades, body styling, and such? I think it'd be an awesome way to spread the word about this awesome little sub-culture, not to mention you could probably make a little cash off of it to help keep the site going strong.

im not saying its a bad idea but there just not enough demand for somthing like that. now if someone put there own time in for free they could post a video on the board for download.
    Roe:

1990 Jeep Cherokee
    2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Email: Nathan.Roe86@Gmail.com

Comment

I think a lot of people would be into it. Some people learn better by seeing things. A walk through of a process whether it be brakes, suspension, engine swap, or stereo installation etc. can be very helpful. It doesn't need to be super detailed, but a nice overview of all of the steps that go into completing the task. That way newbies can be aware of where everything is and how it all fits together before they start pulling their B3 with a come along and a tree branch.

Comment

one problem. i dont think anyone that knows everything has the time to make a video for every mod. alot of people will tell ya to read up and figure it out. defently on motor swaps. but everyone that is running this forum is trying to make as easy to figure out how to do things like mods. thats why they have tech article and stickys. but as for videos noone has time for all i know.
        Roe:

1990 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

I hear you there though. The time it would take to film and edit everything would be overwhelming. You'd need a lot of extra time on your hands.

Comment

but hey maybe somday someone will be willing to do it.
            Roe:

1990 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

film editing takes no time at all trust me you just clip what you have to and put it in whatever order you like then make a menu and then let your computer compile the data into 1 file then your done. The thing that would take the longest would be to video the whole thing and waiting for the computer to compile the data into a file you could burn to a DVD. Its real easy hell if someone shot it and then hosted the videos so i could download them and put them together I would since i don't have a camera or anything. I could do DVD quality as long as the videos were good enough and if someone wanted them they would just have to give me like 4-5 dollars for shipping and the cost of a DVD. I could post lower quality ones on-line too since DVD quality are just way to big.
              the blue b6-ze oh yeah!!

Comment

the production costs would outweigh any money made.

no offense, but festiva owners aren't exactly the richest people around. It seems they are either full of shit or low-ball like mad when it comes to actually paying for an item.
                Wil
                02' Sc00by WRX Sedan (current project)
                00' Celica GT Automatic 38mpg gas-sipper (sold)
                05' Scion xB box-on-wheels (sold)
                93' MX-3 Hybrid on LSD (sold )
                96' Slowtegé 42mpg Beast-mobile (engine exploded)
                93' B6-ZE 'tiva GL aka"Blue Bomber"(now owned by darpien)

Comment

agreed, I don't think it would be a good business decision to make a festiva video. You might be able to break even, maybe even see a couple dollars, but not enough to make the labor worth while.

Say you did a video on a simple b6 swap. Takes you 5 hours to do the swap normally. For video it's going to take double to triple because you have to stop to explain what you're doing and set up camera angles and so forth. So be prepared to spend a whole weekend at filming. Then you need to edit, You'll have 10-15 hours of tape to edit. After deleting the really boring stuff(gasket scraping) you will be left with 1-2 hours worth of stuff. Expect to go back and reshoot some stuff like intros and better explanations.

The end result is a 1-2 hour piece that won't look professional and won't be of much interest to anyone outside the festiva community. You might be able to sell some to people on this forum, but since most people have already done something like that or are too cheap you won't sell many.

I do think that someone could make money with the same idea but for a much more popular car. Focus or civic comes to mind. Then you have a much richer and larger customer base.
                  OX SMASH!!

Comment

whats wrong with you people

I shouldn't be about money in here, if someone made a festiva DVD with the hotests festivas, engine swaps being done, other mods, it should be about furthering and enshuring the history of our little car culture. We don't make a big foot print, but at least we have our friends:-)

The DVD should be about us not money

Comment

IMO, the main impediment is the "time and bother" issue.

I have plans to document some stuff myself, but I'm so strapped for time just fixing up my house and garage that I don't have the ability to take tours of junkyards or stop to take pics with a still camera when I do work on my car.

Just wiping off the grease from your hands to work a camera takes more time!

Unless you are so dedicated that you have a special "grease monkey camera" to use.

"What's that lump in the corner?"

"That's my garage video camera."

"Geez, it looks like a car part!"

"Yeah, can you grab it for me and spray off the lens with some brake cleaner?"

Karl
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

good idea. I wish i would have thought of it when putting my car together. But atleast I got pics!!
                        http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/708975

http://p074.ezboard.com/ffordfestiva...picID=92.topic

Comment

Even if it isn't a 'HOW TO' video or even if it gets to DVD, how about a festiva 'JUNKIE' video. A compilation of pictures and video of people with festiva's/aspires out there lashing it and tearing it up. I am sure we could get some people together that would be willing to send in some videos of them going fast or on the track or even just doing a burnout or how about a group just cruising together? Ideally just a video that involves our cars and the people that drive them. I have a couple videos and a bunch of pics I would be willing to offer up. The more the merrier. I am sure we could get enough together to at least make a 5-10 minute video that would at least give us a few laughs!
                          Fast, fun and good gas mileage. 91' Festiva(RIP) and 96' Aspire(RIP). The website is no more.

Comment

Working...
                          X