Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F.I.T. = Festiva In Trouble Database

Backstory:

Member big_ty2003 broke down with his Festiva and another member bhazard posted a "Festiva Down" thread asking for assistance to those in the area.

We've all been in a similar situation and this prompted the discussion on what would be the best way to create an organized "Festiva Rescue" list.

What It Contains

This list would encompass names, phone numbers, locations, and email addresses of FF.com members across the United States, and even the world if it takes off.

How Can I Get On the List?

1) If you have a google account, you can edit the spreadsheet by going to the following URL:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CNnpxI8F

2) If you don't have a google account, create one here for free, you'll thank me later:

https://www.google.com/accounts/NewA...5cd37cc&type=2

3) If you don't have a gmail account and do not wish to create one, you can PM me your contact information and I can add it to the list.

How Can I View/Print/Access The F.I.T. List?

You can view the spreadsheet by going to the following URL. From there you can view, edit, and print the list.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CNnpxI8F

You can also send the link of the spreadsheet to your mobile phone and if it's capable will open the list on the go, wherever you are.

In addition, the spreadsheet can be imported to www.batchgeo.com to create a Google Map View of the information:

http://www.batchgeo.com/map/0e367e74...1b7444f07ee8aa

You can also send the link of the map to your mobile phone and if it's capable will open the list on the go.

Is My Information Safe?

Both the spreadsheet and map are set to unlisted setting. That means both the spreadsheet and map will not show up in search results of any kind. The information can be accessible ONLY if you have the correct URL provided here.

If you feel uncomfortable listing your email address, phone number, or other information, you don't have to. This is purely optional and up to you.

Google Voice is a great option of creating an online phone number that can forward calls to your cell/work/home phone, without giving out your private phone number. More information is available at http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html. Google Voice is invite only at the moment so check if you were invited by google. If not, ask a friend or someone on here to invite you if they have invites available.

Conclusion

The map can also be posted to a website. If the mods approve of this idea, a page can be created right on this site for easy access. Maybe in a separate sub-forum like "The Arena" where you have to be approved first before gaining entrance.

I think this will be a great idea to keep the Festiva community well connected with each other, especially in the event of a breakdown or emergency.

If you have any other thoughts, questions, or concerns I will try to answer them with the best of my ability.
    Last edited by spiko; 06-17-2010, 01:51 PM.

Also, please leave a post in this thread so I know when to update the database with the map.

Comment

Added. Maybe have a line to add nearby large cities to give an easier idea where you're located? Like for me it would be Toledo and Defiance Ohio and Adrian Michigan.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I have a suggestion to prevent abuse of this system. Benefits are guarranteed to be extended to 'members', perhaps those who have contributed $10/year to the forum. All other requests for assistance will be filled at the discretion of the volunteering members. Only those who are 'members' would have access to the full list of providers. Thoughts?
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
          I have a suggestion to prevent abuse of this system. Benefits are guarranteed to be extended to 'members', perhaps those who have contributed $10/year to the forum. All other requests for assistance will be filled at the discretion of the volunteering members. Only those who are 'members' would have access to the full list of providers. Thoughts?
          That sounds good to me, set up a "contributed members forum" that's locked only to those that have access. This thread/feature could be moved into that forum.

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
            What kind of abuse are you referring to? Why cant we just put it in a part of the forum that you have to be granted access to similar to the arena. You dont have to pay but its at the discretion of an admin to let you into the forum.

1993 Festiva L, aspire swapped, selling parts for a BP+T build.

Comment

Another thing those of us with google accounts can do is add each other to our google contacts and use latitude to share our location. You dont necessarily have to have a gps enabled phone with google maps and latitude, just set a permanent location in latitude on your computer. That way all the google contact info is right there. And those of us with google maps on our phone can just enable the latitude layer and theres all your festiva buddies.
              91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Wow theres even a chat room for the spreadsheet page... anyone care to join me?
                91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

I added another row called "Capabilities" basically put in there how you can help. I personally can provide a place to sleep if needed, and of course troubleshoot your car. I can probably get my dad to trailer your car somewhere for gas money as well.
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Originally posted by big_ty2003 View Post
                    What kind of abuse are you referring to? Why cant we just put it in a part of the forum that you have to be granted access to similar to the arena. You dont have to pay but its at the discretion of an admin to let you into the forum.
                    well, my theory is multifold. First, $10/year won't break any of us here, and would greatly aid Brian's endeavors, considering how much server space costs. Paying levels the playing field. With access at the discretion of an admin/mod, some may fell discriminated against, especially if denied access. Lastly, although I have never experienced it with our current members, it discourages 'unecessary' phone calls, such as the 1:30am "hey, me and my buddy were talking, and do you think this part/mod would work?" as I have experienced with a similar list on a Mustang forum. As soon as you tell these type of folks they have to 'pay' for access (even $10/year) they stop subscribing. I'd like to see this used for those of us who would truly need and appreciate the help. A small charge is worth it to those folks. Now, we could have it that if you are on the list to provide help, you don't get charged for access....
                    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

I can understand a small donation.

And you of all people should be on the list!
                      91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                        I can understand a small donation.

And you of all people should be on the list!
                        oh, I will be! As soon as take a few minutes to create a Google account.
                        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Yes, everyone needs a google account, they own the crap out of yahoo and the like.

Ive kinda taken up the task of editing and keeping the list "neat" and overall doing things to it I see fit. As long as the 'owner' doesnt mind. Kind of an OCD thing.
                          Last edited by bhazard; 06-17-2010, 07:21 PM.
                          91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Added my info
                            Ian
                            Calgary AB, Canada
                            93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                            59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

added
                              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Working...
                              X