Not having signatures on every post?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not having signatures on every post?

I have a suggestion, if its possible with our forum software. As much as I'm a fan of signatures on forums (especially car forums) as a way to get a little bit more insight into what people are driving and/or interested in, it does sometimes get old seeing the same person's sig a dozen times in a single thread. So it came as a pleasant surprise when I realized that on my Fiero forum each time you post or reply to a post it has a box to check whether or not you want to post your signature, and members are asked not to post their signature more than once in each thread.

This make for much cleaner reading, and less scrolling, and since you still have the sig once in each thread it still allows people to express themselves however they see fit (within reason). As a result, even though their forums are defaulted to show 20 posts per page, each page is still typically shorter than a page with only ten posts on here. Its just nice not to have to scroll past half a page of a list of someone's mod when they reply with a one word post like "yeah" and you already saw their list five times further up the page.

Any way we could maybe duplicate that here? I mean, I'm proud of all five of my cars, my bike, and my wife's cars, but really, does everyone need to see what I drive *every* time I type something an hit reply?

Just curious if anyone else agrees, and if its even possible with our software. The site is still great either way, I just think it would be a little cleaner and easier to read/follow threads. Just my $1/50
    No festiva for me ATM...

I like it!

Simontuffguy, can you "make it so?"
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Thats a great idea. I like it as well.

Comment

That option is already on here. When you are posting a Reply, scroll down and you will see the section that says "Additional Options" and it says," Show your Signature" with a check box next to it.
        '90 LX

Comment

hmmm, didn't notice that before, I guess because I usually just do the quick reply thing... however, on the other forum that box isn't automatically checked, you have to check it yourself. So I guess now my question would be, is there a way to default to NOT using the sig, and if you want to show it, you check the box? I don't think anyone's ever unchecked that box since I don't see too many posts without sigs, except by people who don't have sigs to begin with. HaHa! I unchecked it for this post!
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Honestly, i don't see any negatives to having your signature pop up in every post, i mean it's not like it takes several hours to scroll down the page just from signatures

The only advantage i can see to having to set a rule about only 1 signature per thread is for the users with a very very slow computer/internet connection, but in general i would see that rule as a real PITA since i would always forget to check the "no signature" box

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

ok
              Last edited by eurotiva; 08-27-2010, 02:44 PM. Reason: still wastes alot of space....look at this edit bar.
              -Greg
              Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
              BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
              Redneck Engineer
              FOTY - '09
              5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                Honestly, i don't see any negatives to having your signature pop up in every post, i mean it's not like it takes several hours to scroll down the page just from signatures
                Agreed, but it would look cleaner, and easier to read without having to scroll as often. And users with smart phones might benefit as well, though SimonTuffGuy has posted an app the should help in that area as well.

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                The only advantage i can see to having to set a rule about only 1 signature per thread is for the users with a very very slow computer/internet connection, but in general i would see that rule as a real PITA since i would always forget to check the "no signature" box
                No, we don't want to make it a rule if we don't have to, better to make it checked by default if we can, because I'll forget just like you!
                Plus, if we had a rule, I don't want to have to warn someone over something so asinine!
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

you can go into your user control panel at the top of the page....user cp ....and then go to edit options....scroll down and you can turn off show signatures, among other things, and then when you view the board it shows no signatures at all....if you want to see them....go back in and change it back.
                  "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                  89L Silver EFI auto
                  91GL Green Auto DD
                  There ain't no rest for the wicked
                  until we close our eyes for good.
                  I will sleep when I die!
                  I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I like my sig, and I will use it every time! LOL. Does anyone else get 48mpg? I should start a thead about the mpg of everyones festivas!

Comment

There is an option in the normal reply section that says "Show your signature"... Unchecking that, as I did here, means your signature won't be displayed.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that there is a way to force that or a hack that would not display if you had more than one post in a thread.
                      Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Having the signatures on helps when you're scanning for a particular person's post in a thread. I agree with the sentiment that the only reason for not having them would be if there were still an overabundance of 56k users.
                        -Caleb
                        Originally posted by cracked.com on the M203 w/ M433 HEDP
                        So, for about the same price as a fully-loaded 1993 Ford Festiva, you could also wield the power to obliterate a small village in the blink of an eye.

Comment

Simon, if we can't we can't, just though it would be something worth looking into.

pr0nst4r, in any thread you can get a drop down list of posters to that thread, by selecting the the underlined number that tells you how many posts have been made to that thread. Then in that drop down list selecting the number opposite the poster will give you the post(s) of that member.
                          '92 Aqua parts Car
                          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Sorry guys, wasn't really meaning to cause any discord here. Like I said, its not a big problem, I just enjoy the clean look of the Fiero forum. FF.com is still my fave forum though! We can just pretend I never started this thread (or Simon can delete it :lol: )
                            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

^^I don't think this thread got heated at all, just guys expressing opinions about the topic

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Working...
                              X