A new forum prefix - [POL]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new forum prefix - [POL]

Could we have a separate prefix for political debates? An extra forum isn't needed, but this could work well.

Most of the heated/heavy stuff ends up in the arena, sure... but I would really love to be able to enjoy off topic without having to wade through the frequent bashing back and forth.

After my few years here and experiences in some of these forums, I've come to realize that the bickering really accomplishes nothing but to bolster the erosion of forum cohesion and the family atmosphere around here. I don't like things that make me resent being here, and some of the radical views from both sides are just plain frustrating irrespective of whether I agree with them or not.

Everyone is entitled to their political beliefs, but what if a hypothetical member has a political belief that the political is personal and an introverted discussion rather than an open one? I know that is most certainly the case here in Japan, and to some extent in Canada as well. I know, I know... most of us here are American citizens, but it's a blanket inference still.

I suppose you might recommend I just avoid said topics. Sure would be easier either in it's own location or with a bracketeering arrangement. That and it would probably be appreciated by other international members like myself who may not have any interest or motivation to deeply follow the American politik. For example, wouldn't it be nice to have:

[POL] Tax by the mile
    [POL] American Economy
    [POL] Walking away from your mortgage

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Aaronbrook37; 08-18-2011, 08:00 PM.
    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Good idea, but lord knows any time I feel the urge to reply to political threads it usually winds up being Arena-worthy. Still, I can totally understand where you're coming from. Some days you [POL] some days you don't!
    91 L 5sp "The Silver Bullet" B6, Brake/Susp Swapped Build Thread
    92 L 5sp "Red" RIP
    95 Grand Prix SE DD
    Wife's Stuff:
    89 L 5sp "Carby Car"
    97 Aspire auto "Pink Panther"
    Build Thread

Spring 2013 IndyStiva:
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...eet-April-20th

Comment

nah.....you pretty much know as soon as you read the beginning of the thread where it is or may be heading and can chose just to click away instead of reading it. I don't see how having a prefix will stop anyone from reading it or commenting to keep the bickering going.
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I see your point Aaron, but i personally will read a the start of a thread and if it's something i shake my head at and makes me wanna bash my head against a wall :banghead: then i probably won't bother checking out that thread again, its works for me at least

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

It's per forum... So that means we'd need to keep all threads in a specific forum, which never happens.

I can work it up if others see that it would solve some sort of problem.
          Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

You could just say in the rules that one should add that prefix themselves to any political thread they may be starting.
            1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
            Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
            daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
            A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
              nah.....you pretty much know as soon as you read the beginning of the thread where it is or may be heading and can chose just to click away instead of reading it. I don't see how having a prefix will stop anyone from reading it or commenting to keep the bickering going.
              Well yeah... the idea is more when starting a political thread to help keep people from having to do this:

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
              i personally will read a the start of a thread and if it's something i shake my head at and makes me wanna bash my head against a wall :banghead:
              in the first place. The whole sense of frustration is wholly avoidable by doing this:

Originally posted by Basement_Modder View Post
              You could just say in the rules that one should add that prefix themselves to any political thread they may be starting.
              Just as easy and convenient as a WTB or FS. That's what I was going for.
              1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Working...
              X