TominMO PC issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TominMO PC issues

Ok. Tom of TominMO fame on forum is having issues logging onto the forum. Otherwise he can't log in at all he has tried logging in on Facebook ff.com with no luck there either if anybody have any ideas why he is having these issues he has called me to ask for my help he is checking blocking settings and things on his computer he has gone to Panera Bread to use their Wi-Fi to see if that would work he still can't get on so if anyone has any ideas he and I would both be appreciative any help thanks

Dan
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Are the web pages loading and he just can't log on? If they aren't loading make sure he's not on "Airplane mode" if it's a laptop. Tell him also to try a different web browser I.E. Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, internet explorer. I prefer chrome out of them all but at least try something different than what he's currently using.

Wouldn't hurt to run any virus scans as well. Also been hearing that the automatic Windows 10 update has been really screwing with a lot of people's computers.

Comment

new info....

Linux with firefox on PC , no luck getting on
      Tom went to Panera Bread co. used their WiFi on a Netbook, with windows explorer ...no luck getting on, BUT, did get a message about "invalid security certificate"

Weird.... 2 browsers and 2 devices and still not getting on!?
      Dan

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Tell him to check the date and time on his computer in the lower right hand corner and make sure it's correct. That can sometimes throw the computer into a loop.

Comment

We think it was Tom's PC that has a problem, and his notebook that he took to the wifi place has XP on it and may be why it got the no valid security certificate....
          he's workin on it
          Dan

R.I.P.
          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Originally posted by redspire View Post
            Tell him to check the date and time on his computer in the lower right hand corner and make sure it's correct. That can sometimes throw the computer into a loop.
            I was going to suggest this as well. I have had similar troubles with XP losing the correct date and giving "security issues" as the reason. I believe it is because the button battery holding the eeprom memory gets too weak, and most XP machines are pretty old by now.
            "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
            "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
            "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
            "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
            "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
            "Wenona"-89L parts car
            "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Hi everyone, thanks for all the suggestions. I'm back on obviously.

Linux Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on my desktop computer. No other OS--I bought it specifically because it was a dedicated Linux 'puter. Couple of days ago it started acting squirrely in Foxnews.com. Then I tried to post a reply on FF.com ~6:30 Sunday, and it didn't accept the post. I exited and tried to get back in, but couldn't. I thought FF.com was down for maintenance or something, no big deal. But for the next 24 hours I could never get on. So I called Dan; he said he could get on, no prob.

Took my WinXP Dell netbook down to Panera to use their wifi. Still couldn't get on! So I figured it wasn't on my end....but Dan got on? Figured out that the security certificate was invalid probably because of MS not supporting XP any more, or something like that. So two different 'puters, two different OSes, can't get on. Weird. (I didn't try any other websites on the Dell.)

Futzed around trying different browsers, no help. Once I briefly got to the FF.com login page from the TOR browser; but then a window popped up asking me if I wanted to update the browser. I clicked yes, it updated; then I couldn't get to FF.com any more! :banghead:

Thought maybe I have a Linux virus. Downloaded Comodo AV, did a complete virus scan, nothing. Did a sysdiag, found two bad drivers: redirFS & avflt. Fooled around with fixing this for a while, but didn't get too far. So a few minutes ago, just for kicks I decided to try FF.com again--BAM! I'm magically back in. Not even really sure why, but there it is. I'm in Firefox BTW. Gonna try it from another browser or two to see what happens.
              Last edited by TominMO; 05-31-2016, 09:31 AM.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Turns out I'm still having logon issues. Posted the above post yesterday, then went to post in the Festiva Store thread. That was the same thing I tried to do before, when this whole thing started. Again my post did not "take", and I was no longer able to navigate in the site. When I logged off, I couldn't get back in.

I'm typing this on my desktop computer, the one with the issue. I will try logging on this weekend on a different computer, which is using a Windows 7 platform. If I end up having an issue on that one too, then that means my initial problem came from the forum.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

In th process of thrashing around trying to fix my computer issues, I ran across this browser, Slimjet. It is super-fast because it does not load any ads that are on the website you go to. Available in Windows and Linux flavors. It's based on Chromium.

And it's free! :-)
                  Last edited by TominMO; 06-01-2016, 06:26 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Don't mean to necro an old thread, but I didn't want to create a new thread for the same issue.

last couple nights i've had this site completely refuse to load, sometimes I was able to get the main entry page to load, but then it just kept timing out.

Multiple browser, tried multiple different DNS servers. Even tried running a tracert in command prompt, and looks like it drops off after about 10 different hops, and then starts timing out.

I was only able to get on the site again after creating a hotspot with my phone.
                    Last edited by TorqueEffect; 10-24-2016, 02:00 AM.
                    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Working...
                    X