radio problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radio problems

i understand the wiring of the festiva i have its a 1989 it didnt come with a radio so it has the wires just sitting inside. But what i dont understand is i setup the radio so i could see if my wires have power so i put the radio on my lap made a ground and then pushed my power wire in to the wire coming from the car the white and red one and nothing happened i got angry and i dont understand whats going on is there a special way i have to have the wires to connect my radio or what is some one could give me a step by step dumby guide to installing a radio into a 1989 festiva do it please or even right out directions for me i want and need a radio !! :wink:

make sure your key is on...there is a hot wire which has power all the time and there is a ACC wire as they call it. it only gets power when you turn the key on as it is ran thru the fuze box. its kinda a mind game installing a radio without knowing which wire is what. have fun
    90 L FI..second B3
    90 L Parts car
    Jay

Comment

Easy way to find the 2 important wires.

1- Ground your radio
      2- On your brand new radio there must be to wires call PWR and ACC (habitually red and yellow)
      3- Connect them together
      4- While the car isn't running and the key isn't at ACC, browse each wire on the 2 (red and yellow) you just connected
      5- When the radio start, congratulations you just fin your PWR wire. Disconnect the 2 (red and yellow) and connect the red on your PWR wire.
      6- Start the car or just put the key to ACC and them browse the rest of the wires on the yellow one
      7- When the radio start, you just found the ACC wire. Connect it to the yellow wire.

This is pretty general. I also, one time, find a brand new radio that the red and yellow wire were inverted, pay attention.
      Is that a Festiva that just passed me?!?!?!

Comment

no power

I tried your procedure but cannot find a live wire :? until I put the key on ACC and then I have to connect both of the radio wires(rd & yllw) to the power line?(blue). Once I pull the key out I lose all power tothe radio and can no longer find a hot line. Any suggestions?

Comment

The hot all the time wire should be white with red.
          The hot in ACC wire should be blue with yellow.
          (This is true for my 1990)

Match these up with the radio instructions, and once you have grounded it, it should work. :wink:
          Kevin
          '93 L (BP{T} Sold
          '90 L Plus Sold
          '94 Mercury Capri XR2 sold

Comment

fuse?

Is it possible that I may have blown a fuse as I still cannot find a hot wire w/o the key being on.

Comment

Yes, there is a 10 amp "ROOM" fuse that supplies the white with red wire, but it also feeds the interior dome light, rear luggage compartment light and the ECA, (does the car start-up and run?)

There is a 15 amp "CIGAR" fuse that supplies the blue with yellow wire, but it also feeds the remote control mirror switch and the cigar lighter, (does this work with the key on?)

The fuses can be checked with a multimeter if you can not tell visually if they are blown. :wink:
              Kevin
              '93 L (BP{T} Sold
              '90 L Plus Sold

Comment

Given any thought to a radio wiring harness available from any sort of store like wal-mart? Just match wire colors together and click the finished product to your factory wiring harness. Of course if you already have sliced your factory wiring connector off, then you don't have this option. It just takes the guess work out of installing your radio.
                Fast, fun and good gas mileage. 91' Festiva(RIP) and 96' Aspire(RIP). The website is no more.

Comment

radio

Thanks for the help! I've got it down to the correct wires and yes that fuse was popped. Now it's off to Wally-world(Walmart) to gat that fuse!
                  Thanks Again!

Comment

rear speakers

Radio is in and working along with the 2 front speakers. No sound from the rears. My wife (not color blind) showed me the correct wires and I did hook them up correctly but there was a red w/green wire left over.

Any ideas?

Comment

This link to the post it shows the expected wire colors:

The red/green wire is part of the instrument illumination circuit, and may not be used unless your radio has a wire for that. (tied to the headlight switch).

Have you tried connecting the front working speakers up to the radio rear speaker wires to see if they work? This is taking known good speakers and wires and connecting it the rear speaker output from the radio to make sure the problem is not the radio. If this works then the problem is with the rear speakers or rear speaker wiring.

You may have an open circuit in the rear speaker wiring which can be found by checking the continuity of the wires.
                      Kevin
                      '93 L (BP{T} Sold
                      '90 L Plus Sold

Comment

Working...
                      X