CB in Aspire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB in Aspire

Okay, I know a lot of Festiva drivers have CBs. I want one too. I don't want to spend more than $200 on the radio, but I want something niceish. Are the cheapo $39 models I see every so often any good? Or are the fancy $200 models really nice? I looked at JC Whitney and Radio Shack's websites.

Now, what about antennas? I try to keep a sporty look to my car so having a 9 foot antenna sticking out of the roof isn't exactly my idea of sexy. What are my options? I see on RadioShack an 8.5' one for $20 that apparently outperformes.. stuff. and apparently you can do a dual setup which improves things. Two bigass antennas on the back bumper might be nifty but I'd want to be able to remove them like... most of the time.

What about the stock FM radio antenna? Would an adapter and maybe an amplifier or something make that be a viable option? I like the stock look.

What if I were really crazy, and had a ~9' antenna mounted horizontally underneath the car? Presuming the car is long enough to do that first of all, and secondly that it wouldn't get in the way of any moving parts. Would that work at all, or would I be nuking my brain with radio signals (I hear if you look straight down at a powerful shortwave radio antenna you put yourself at a risk for cataracs) or would I be negating my efforts because the antenna would be looking to pick up signals from the rest of my car and the road?

What about mounting the radio? I could live without my little storage bin. If I could cut apart part of the dash on the passenger side that would be even better but I'm not sure if there's enough empty space behind there that wouldn't be interfering with the airbag. I'm not really sure what the size for a DIN hole is, and all of these things seem to have different dimensions.

all depends on your use of the cb....if your just wanting to talk to others near you on the road than the 39 elcheepo is fine. if you want to get about 3-5 miles of radio waves go for a 50-60 dolar Cobra CB. your am/fm radio antenna will not work for a cb. you can use one of those magnetic antenas and wire it thru your hatch easily. that would be the best option if your not wanting to have it on all the time. dont spend 200 bucks on a cb...you could almost but b6 in for that much.
    90 L FI..second B3
    90 L Parts car
    Jay

Comment

I thought I'd compromise and I got the mid-range radioshack model with a magnetic antenna

Turned out to be lots of fun, I'm waiting on my mounting hardware for my permanant antennas

Comment

Working...
      X