Looking for suggestions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for suggestions...

I have a bunch of speakers and an amp that I've picked up over the past year and have a few questions for the audio gurus among us.

The amp I have is a Pioneer GM-X354. Is there a way to bench test it to see if it's in working order?

Here are the speakers I have to choose from

4 Cerwin Vega SS52-004039A 50 watrt RMS complete with seperate tweeters:

2 Sony XS-PL46 two way 80 watt max input:

I currently have a pair of 5 1/4" Sony XPlod's of some kind in the front doors and a pair of Clif Design 6"x9" three ways in the package shelf at the back.

Assuming the amp is in working order what would your recommendations be for a decent sound? I don't have a sub right now but am on the lookout for a decnt 8". One spot I thought of installing the front tweeters is on each end of the dash pointing up towards the windshield. How would that work from an acoustical point of view?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Not sure about bench testing, but if you box all that up and ship it to me, I will be glad to car test it for you.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

computer power supply usually has 400-600 watts on the 12v rails...

pick one up and short the green wire to any black wire.

twist together a few (3-4) yellow wires and twist together a few (3-4) black wires and there's your +12 volt bench power supply.
      -Zack
      Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

^ For power? Car battery is a lot easier! But he still needs a signal to test the speakers. I guess you could test them with a 9v battery to see if the cone moves freely.
        Oscar

Comment

Forgot to mention that I'm using a Pioneer DEH P4000USB head unit.
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada
          93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
          59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
            Not sure about bench testing, but if you box all that up and ship it to me, I will be glad to car test it for you.
            Yes, I recommend a 5-year longevity test while you're at it.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
            X