Installed New Head Unit Yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed New Head Unit Yesterday

Ok, I haven't installed a radio in over 30 years so I'm a little puzzled with the security when installing a new HU. Last night I installed a Pioneer DEH3200UB. After connecting the wiring harnness,I installed the Mounting Bracket,the Din Sleeve,slid the radio in, attached the Din Trim to the radio, and re-installed the radio dash trim panel. Trying to get it done quickly(was running out of daylight) I just push all the wires in before installing the radio. Not being happy about the way I installed the wires I removed the radio today to better secure the wires. I was surprised how easy it was to remove the radio. I just removed the Din Trim from the radio and it slid right out of the Din Sleeve.Didn't even remove the Radio dash panel, It took me less than a minute. Not much security there. Is the only security to these new Radios is that you can remove the face plate? Did I miss something when I installed my radio? Shouldn't the radio lock in somehow? This is a little disturbing since a person could spend alot of money on a radio and it could be stolen in just a few seconds.

Rich

THe mounting brackets should have little tabs that hold it to the radio.
    It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

I always used that metal sleeve that goes around the radio and push out the tabs to hold the sleeve in place and then clicked the radio into the sleeve to lock it into place. It works pretty good because someone broke in to my car once and all they made way with was the faceplate because they couldn't get the deck out, which irritated me even more because I had a good deck but no faceplate

Comment

the festiva doesn't have a true DIN sized hole, you need an install kit for it to work properly (not that i use one myself, but that's how it should be done).
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          the festiva doesn't have a true DIN sized hole, you need an install kit for it to work properly (not that i use one myself, but that's how it should be done).
          That is the "right" method, but I too don't have a dash kit in mine. If you bend the biggest tabs on the sleeve all the way out it holds it in pretty well, but as FestYboy said, the best way is with the kit. Hope this helps.
          The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
          89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

Ok Thanks, I'll have to take another look at what I did. When I took the radio out of the box the Din Sleeve was locked on the radio. I had to slide the 2 small pieces of metal between the sleeve and the radio to remove the sleeve from the radio. Maybe I just don't have it push in far enough to have it locked in.

Thanks, Guys

Comment

Working...
            X