what did i do wrong???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what did i do wrong???

hey i just put in a friends radio in his mazda b2200 truck... very easy install... or so i thought lol... i checked for ground with my multi meter and found the ground and my constant power and then the switched power.... the truck has no wires for the auto dim thing... i wired it up and it works fine then he comes back the next day and says his lights dont work... the fuse is blown, so i put a new fuse in and turned on the lights and it blows the fuse again.... so i bust out the multi meter and after about about an hour of searching for a short in the lights (cause the radio has nothing to do with the lights and i was sure it wasnt the radio...) i figgured out it was in the dash... turns out it was the radio lol... if i have my multi meter in the fuse port and the other end to ground and touch the radio to ground with the lights on it grounds out.... its the crazyiest thing i have ever come across... anyone have any idea what i did wrong?

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
    1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

You lose me when you start metering from fuse to radio?

Maybe you could disconnect the power line you found for the radio and run a new one straight from the fuse box or the battery.
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

I had the same thing. Don't hook the ground into the wiring harness. Instead hook it to the metal dash frame. Find a screw you can loosen an hook it there or drill a small hole and use a sheet metal screw if need be. Just don't use the ground wire in the harness. Worked for me.
      '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
      '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
      '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
      '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
      '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
      '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
      '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

awesome, ill try that in the morning thanks!

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
        1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

i found this problem in my old car 99 eclipse... blew fuses like 10 times before realizing the problem.. but it was my headunit... it was causing a short... as it was an older radio i just changed the radio and the new one didnt do it..
          91L 5 sp, 175k,a/c ,KYB gr2,Fms Lowering springs ,13" konig's ,09 tiburon seats, 7" Pyle in.dash,kicker ds400 all around,Kicker 400.2 powering 2 Kicker cvr 10", 30k hid's, hopeful to find a xr2 to swap b6t from....

2010 mazdaspeed3 stock... for now

Comment

Working...
          X