Stereo only works during the day...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo only works during the day...

Hey all, first post on here. Brand new Festiva owner and in a couple of days of membership this forum has already been invaluable for me. Thanks, and thanks in advance.

I have an '88. When I bought it several things were pretty ghetto rigged but working. Among other things, the stereo wires were cut and bare, just hanging out of the slot. I spliced the harness in, and after replacing a scorched room fuse, that bad boy started right up! I could hardly believe it and gave myself a pat on the back for a couple of days.

Then I got pulled over for not having taillights (got off with a warning, thank you sir). Sure enough the tail fuse was blown, and after thread searching came to find that the illumination wires were grounding out, and thus to blame. Taped 'em up, replaced the fuse, tried again. This is where I get totally lost:

The stereo works, no blown fuses. UNTIL I turn on the headlights, and it shuts right off. Turn the headlights off, I have NPR again.

For the sake of additional information that hopefully you guys can use (because I can't), it will hold my presets, etc., during this odd shutoff, so evidently the constant is still feeding. It would be safe to say, then, that the accessory wire is getting switched OFF when the headlights get switched ON, correct?

No fuses were hurt during this last part after replacing the tail fuse.

For the time being I'm calling it a safety feature. Pay attention to the road at night, no distractions kind of thing. I'd like to move past that. As always, any input is much appreciated.

And, as this is my first post, let me say quickly that it is truly an honor to join you all as a Festiva owner. It was love at first sight an I fully intend to hit a million miles in it.

Did u ground the stereo on the harness or a body ground? I had issues with my deck too. Try a body ground instead of the harness.

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
    1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
    R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
    00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
    03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
    pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
    Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
    Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

I am wondering if your ground is connected to your illumination wire. When you hit the lights the illumination wire is a hot and can no longer ground the radio. I am not sure if this will work or not but turn the interior lights all the way down to where they are off and check the radio. If not I would still move towards a chassis ground instead of the harness like mentioned before.
      The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
      89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

Not a bad idea at all!

Actually, what wire is the illumination wire? I had one wire left over from hooking my stereo up....... probably the damn illumniation wire...... but I don't need it

Originally posted by doylerl View Post
        I am wondering if your ground is connected to your illumination wire. When you hit the lights the illumination wire is a hot and can no longer ground the radio. I am not sure if this will work or not but turn the interior lights all the way down to where they are off and check the radio. If not I would still move towards a chassis ground instead of the harness like mentioned before.
        My Whips:

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'll try a different ground and let you all know.

Comment

Working...
          X