Stealth radio build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TommyChu.
    SWEET! Clever idea and nice execution. Are you finding any problems picking up ignition or other electronic noise through the extended wire length? Did you shield them?
    CharlieZ

Comment

Sweet deal man, maybe a diy. Step by step sticky? This was seriously awesome dude

Comment

A good way to avoid 'noise' with extended wires is to twist them together by clamping all the ends in a drill chuck, having a friend hold the opposite ends, and running the drill one way or the other. This is why cords in TV and radio cables are twisted inside the cable shielding.
        1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
        Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
        daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
        A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

I didn't bother shielding anything, except by means of electrical tape to keep the wires from becoming a rat's nest. I halfheartedly twisted one of the wire bundles to take up the slack since I didn't cut them to exactly the same length but other than that nothing was twisted. No noise issues so far, everything's working exactly as it did before I took it out of the truck.
          Granted, I'm running an ultra high fidelity setup (the right front stock speaker is the only speaker still in the car at the moment, an it isn't in particularly spectacular shape). We'll see what it sounds like when I get some halfway decent speakers going.

Basement_Modder: Injector wires are twisted together as well for that reason.

Also, because this radio is locked to one station I mentioned it on that station's facebook page and they sent me some no line, no cover tickets and a $50 gift certificate for a local bar. That was pretty cool.
          Last edited by Tommychu; 04-17-2011, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Haha, that's awesome!
            1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
            Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
            daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
            A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

Nice, thanx 4 sharing!
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thats awsome

Comment

I find it kinda funny I'm still getting compliments on this, I actually forgot I even built it (my festy's been off the road for a bit with the swap).
                  I still haven't figured out where to mount the bass/treble adjusters or built a bracket for the box. It's been hanging around where the glove box is supposed to be since I wired it in.
                  The method to set the clock is a bit interesting. Basically, disconnect the battery and reconnect it at exactly 12:00. I didn't foresee it being an issue but it was kind of awkward standing in front of the local speedshop a few weeks back at 11:56AM, pacing and staring at my phone and my battery. I'm installing a battery cutoff switch with the swap though so after that it'll be easy.

Comment

Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Working...
                    X