Sound deadener in doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound deadener in doors

I'm going to be installing sound deadener (B-quiet) in the doors of my Festiva. Where is the proper place to put it? I've seen it put on the inside face of the outer sheet metal which would require removing the window hardware. I've also seen it put solely on the inner frame of the door so it would be directly behind the door card. My guess is the ideal application would be to do both.

Thanks
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Put it anywhere in the door where it won't be in the way. If you go the 'behind the door panel' route, wrap the back of your door speaker (if applicable) in the stuff as well. It will prevent noise leaking through the speaker.
    1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
    Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
    daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
    A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

Festiva inner door panels are flat with no room for sound insulation. You do not want to put insulation on the inside of the door, as it will get wet behind the vapor barrier. There is no room for Protege power door lock switches either. the vapor barrier should be continuous behind the speaker except for the small hole for the speaker connector wires.

Comment

the B-quiet material is weather resistant. place it on the inside of the outer skin and if you can, the inside of the inner steel pannel as well.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

So how many square feet would do the whole interior? I mean roof and all.
          In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
          There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Fastivaca did you end up doing this? I'm planning on doing some sound deadening this winter as a project.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
            The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

DEADNER

Originally posted by Charlie1717 View Post
              Fastivaca did you end up doing this? I'm planning on doing some sound deadening this winter as a project.
              ID LEAVE DOORS ALONE. 3M UNDER COATING SPRAY,WORKS ALMOST AS WELL,AS A SOUND DEADNER. U GET MOST/BEST RESULTS,BY PUTTING DEADNER,ON FLOORS. FRONT TO BACK,INCLUDING WHEEL WELLS,AND HATCH.FORGET DOORS,OR ROOF. THE 3M STUFF,WORKS WONDERS.
              MDOYLEUFO@GMAIL.COM

Comment

^ I don't agree. I mean, It would help, but you definitely have to put some insulation in the doors, etc.

I did something similar to the B-quiet stuff in the Deathegg years ago (I did a whole write-up on it).. not only does it help quiet the interior, but the doors will no longer have that cheap, hollow sound when you close them. It's worth doing.
                If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                Mark S.

Comment

Yes, I did install it before we headed down to FMV. I have to say that it's well worth the effort. The doors sound and feel a lot better and most of the "buzzyness" has been eliminated. Installing the deadener helped make the car a lot more comfortable for long drives.

Sent from my LG-P500h using Tapatalk
                  Ian
                  Calgary AB, Canada
                  93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                  59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                    Yes, I did install it before we headed down to FMV. I have to say that it's well worth the effort. The doors sound and feel a lot better and most of the "buzzyness" has been eliminated. Installing the deadener helped make the car a lot more comfortable for long drives.

Sent from my LG-P500h using Tapatalk
                    Did you ever do the hood liner? I feel that should cut quite a bit of sound from the engine area.
                    Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                    The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                      So how many square feet would do the whole interior? I mean roof and all.
                      resurrecting a dead thread here but it takes roughly 70ish sq ft of sound deadener to do floors,roof,doors,outer quarter panels,and shock towers
                      Check out my HID Conversion in progress!

Comment

good to know!!

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

I used foam rubber everywhere but in the doors. It's about filling up the cavities. Much cheaper (Wal-Mart) and definitely makes a difference.
                          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

which car did you do that in Tom?

Comment

Originally posted by FestivaReed View Post
                              resurrecting a dead thread here but it takes roughly 70ish sq ft of sound deadener to do floors,roof,doors,outer quarter panels,and shock towers
                              how much did all of that weigh?
                              89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
                              94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
                              2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
                              1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Working...
                              X