Amp control power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp control power

Does anyone have a good way to run +6v power from somewhere in the car to my amplifier control power? I was thinking of using the power switch for the rear defrost since the wires in the window have been bad as long as i can remember.
    '91 Festiva
    '69 F350 flatbed farm truck
    '10 Equinox
    '95 Suburban
    '05 Vegas
    '02 Vstar 650 bobber project

Most after market radio have an antenna lead. I use that for my amps. But it should be +12v, are you sure you need +6v?
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

If you remove the drivers side plastic door sill, the rear armrest plastic panel and the rear seat, you can pull the carpet back enough to reveal your wiring harness to the back. Your amp signal wire and L/R input wires (RCA cables) can be routed under the dash and then along this wiring harness to the back. It's also a good place to run the power wire. You can ground to a place in the back near your amp. Most amplifiers use a 12V signal to turn them on. Like Jerry said, you'll have a power antenna wire on any aftermarket stereo. It will be blue most likely. Some stereos actually have an amp power on lead, which will be blue, blue with a white stripe or purple.

Hope that helps.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Ya the accual power supply is 12v and i have that, but it also has a control input that lets me turn it on or off and it requires 6v. And i routed the wires where you said.
        '91 Festiva
        '10 Equinox
        '95 Suburban
        '05 Vegas

Comment

Well, I guess you could use the power antenna lead or amp turn on lead (if you have one) with an inline resistor to drop the voltage to 6 volts. The resistance value depends on the draw of the circuit. You might be able to check that with 4 C batteries and a multimeter (use the 10A setting). There aren't any 6 volt circuits in a Festiva that would be a good source for your amp.
          It's odd that your amp turn on wire is 6v, where did this amp come from? It may be more efficient to just buy a cheap used amplifier than to deal with this strange requirement.

Here is a pretty good explanation of how a car stereo is wired.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Im going to go fiddle with it. i think i remember the manual saying min 6v, and its a cheep one off amazon. Im gonna run the power supply off the antenna power and run a jumper from power supply to control and see how that goes.
            '91 Festiva
            '10 Equinox
            '95 Suburban
            '05 Vegas

Comment

Alright figured it out. Found a better manual online than it came with. Control power comes from antenna on the radio and power supply comes from the battery terminal. And it's a Jensen power 400.2. Now to hook it up.
              '91 Festiva
              '10 Equinox
              '95 Suburban
              '05 Vegas

Comment

That makes more sense! Enjoy your new amp!

Comment

Working...
                X