1999 Festiva wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Festiva wiring

new member here.. I have a 1999 Festiva and the plug has been cut for the stereo.. does anyone know the colours to wire up a aftermarket unit.. these are the colours i have:

Thick red
    black
    blue/yellow
    brown/red
    yellow
    green/red
    green/orange
    blue/red
    blue/brown
    green/yellow
    blue/white
    blue/black
    red/black
    blue/green

thanks

Welcome to the forum!

I will assume you have never wired a radio before, so this might be more info than you need.

When you say the plug has been cut, I presume you mean the female one on the car's harness, where it would plug into the male plug for the stock radio.

I am also presuming you have a schematic for the radio, so you know what wires on it do what.

These three should be right--pretty universal:
    red = ignition power
    yellow = battery power (to keep your preset memory alive)
    black = ground

Three wires for things you probably don't have or need, like power antenna or other special features, like for an amp maybe.

The other eight will be power and ground for the four speakers. Usually they will have the same main color, and the thinner color to differentiate the power and ground. Like main color green, then white stripe and black stripe. Your color scheme is pretty confusing though.

On my 1990 Festiva, it's pretty obvious because there are only two wires that are (for example) red, with a white (power) and a black (ground) stripe for one speaker. Then two greens with white and black stripe for another speaker, etc.

I think your best bet would be to do one (or more) of three things:

(1) Get the proper schematic from the car dealer, or a DIY repair book.

(2) Go grab the harness plug that was cut off (with a few inches of each wire) at a junkyard and splice it on; then get the proper adaptor for that plug to use with an aftermarket radio. Check with an auto sound shop. Maybe they can help you figure out the stock colors on the car's wiring too.
    I would recommend trying this if possible, so when you replace the radio again, it's much easier.

(3) This would be the practical, quick, simple approach to just get it going. Look at the car's harness wires at the speakers themselves, so you will know which ones are speaker wires and where they go, as well as which one is positive and which negative. The speaker itself should have markings for this. The three car-harness wires you don't use, just tape up with electrical tape so they don't short out, and tape them out of the way. Same with any unused radio wires.

Good luck!
    Last edited by TominMO; 08-30-2016, 11:00 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thanks for your repky.. will try a few wreckers and see if i can find the plug

Comment

Right, sorry, I forgot about American-to-Australian translation.

junkyard = wreckers
        body shop man = panel beater
        color = colour
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Also note that it's a 99 Festiva (aka Aspire in the US). So if anyone has a 97 aspire EVTM handy...
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Pulled the door skins off and checked the front speakers.. both left and right have green/yellow and green/red so now the fun part of tracing al the wiring and see if it branches off to another colour

Comment

Check after the connection at the door hinge (kick panel side). You may find that the door harness is duplicated left to right, but the main harness should have separate colors up to the door harness connector.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
              X