Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to mount an aftermarket head unit when the factory is missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to mount an aftermarket head unit when the factory is missing?

I'm looking to do a better job of installing an aftermarket unit in my 92, I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on the forums or otherwise. How do you guys do it? When i got the car there was a head unit just kinda chilling in the hole, I'd like to make it look like I care when I install.
    92 Festiva L with AC 5 Speed, 244,000mi and counting!
    R.I.P. Zeus, aka 77 F150 Custom Explorer 300 I6
    Go Green! Go White!

On the original head unit there is a rubber nub that fits into hole in the back of where the head unit goes to keep it from flopping down. On most head units there is a threaded hole on the back where you can thread a small bolt in that lines up with the original hole where the nub would fit into. You can then wrap the bolt with a bunch of electrical tape or equivalent to emulate the original rubber nub.

I then just jammed something on the right side of the radio to take the few mm of side to side slop.
    Dark blue '91 B6t + E series
    Something new breaks every day

Comment

I ended up using this kit: https://www.amazon.com/Metra-99-5700.../dp/B000281X6A Fit like a glove. I tried a couple walmart kits but it was a no go. Got a nice fit!
      92 Festiva L with AC 5 Speed, 244,000mi and counting!
      R.I.P. Zeus, aka 77 F150 Custom Explorer 300 I6
      Go Green! Go White!

Comment

Like evil said, put a screw in the mounting hole in the back of the head unit that lines up with the OEM mount. I like using a short piece of rubber hose on the screw, and have used shrink tube to size it appropriately. Another trick I've used on cars that have been damaged during stereo thefts is to use foam in a can to basically "glue" the DIN sleeve into place. Used sparingly, trimmed up and painted you don't even notice it. I did this to my truck and it's still rock solid five years later.

Comment

Working...
        X