Remote starter brands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote starter brands

Hey guys starting to get cold here in Nebraska thinking about doing a remote starter. I will be installing myself, I am looking for a pretty simple one remote start only, but want a long range 2 way transmitter. What brands are you guys using and do you like the reliability of the system? Also how long have you had it installed for? I thought it would be pretty simple to find one but all the audio shops dont seem that they want to sell one without the install. Thanks guys

Do you have an automatic?

Comment

No it is a manual

Comment

You need a robot to push the clutch pedal down first. Else, you probably want one with Mazda connectors.
        If not, then buy the Yazaki connectors from easternbeaver.com
        Last edited by bravekozak; 11-28-2017, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Or I could just bypass the clutch safety switch, and if i wanted to be extra safe add a neutral safety switch. But most just bypass the clutch safety switch and use a little common sense and leave the car in neutral when i turn it off. I believe most new remote start systems use a sequence when you turn the car off and the door switch to remember the car was in neutral.
          Last edited by Ryanbmw; 11-28-2017, 10:21 PM.

Comment

I am more concerned with the quality of the brand. Like the quality and the functionality of the system. I am very versed in electronics as a BMW tech and I now work on traction motors for locomotives, so I usually frown upon aftermarket as I think most of it is junk but I believe that is my only option with this project.

Comment

When I bought my first Jeep CJ-7 with a V-8 engine, it didn't have a neutral safety switch.
              I almost pooched the car in front of me in the parking lot when I forgot to press the clutch.
              I only did that once. You would not believe how far it lurched forward.

Comment

Hi Ryan,
                As a former automotive electronics technician, I can vouch for the Compustar and DEI brand starters. They both sell units that support manual transmission safety sequence starting and both are lifetime units, meaning if they are installed correctly they are expected to last longer than the vehicle. The manufacturer warranties the main unit for life.....
                The DEI brand starters are Viper, Clifford, Avital and Astrostart.
                I personally have a compustar in my wife's caravan that is near 10 years old, only ever had to replace a remote with that unit, I also have a compustar in my daily driver that is over 6 years old. I prefer the compustar manual transmission safety sequence to the DEI units.

!!!!DONT BYPASS THE CLUTCH SAFTEY CIRCUIT!!! IT IS THERE FOR A REASON!!!!

Do the work to get the correct type of unit to put on your car. Install it properly and enjoy the benefits of knowing it was done correctly.

Most of the "cost" of a remote start is the labor. As a retailer, Viper and generally DEI will only allow you to sell the unit with some type of installation. This keeps their brand from gaining a bad reputation with customers, and service locations alike..... So it is not surprising that you could not find a local dealer to just sell you one over the counter.

I would stay away from crime stopper, autopage, and any of the vox(audiovox), and any of the hundreds of other Chinese unknown brands. If you cant remember having ever heard of them, avoid them.

Good luck.
                Last edited by red90festyonair; 11-29-2017, 08:46 AM.

Comment

red90festyonair, hey I appreciate the reply yeah seems those brands you listed are the ones that have the best reviews from my research as well. Seems to be tough though to find the units that I can just out right purchase. I seemed to be leaning towards compustar. I have a quick question regarding them if you don't mind. So they list the control unit for the festiva being a universal kit. So with them do I buy the controller, then purchase a key fob kit and that plugs into the controller? Then also do the key kits come with the blade-al box or do I need that to run the key kits or they just plug and play with the the controller. Little confused on their kit. I'm used to factory add on stuff where you just add the hardware and reprogram the car for such add ons.
                  Last edited by Ryanbmw; 11-29-2017, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Ryan,
                    If this is going to be installed on a Festiva, you do not need the blade module, that is for interfacing with the antitheft and data bus portions of newer vehicles..... So you will only require the main module (FT-7200S-CONT) and the RF (remote) kit of your choice....
                    If you are putting this on anything that has transponder or security keys or data control features(door locks, tach, etc), then you will need the appropriate blade module and to have the firmware loaded to it for your vehicle.

You will likely need to purchase these parts online, most shops will not sell over the counter....
                    let me know if you have any other questions.
                    Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                      When I bought my first Jeep CJ-7 with a V-8 engine, it didn't have a neutral safety switch.
                      I almost pooched the car in front of me in the parking lot when I forgot to press the clutch.
                      I only did that once. You would not believe how far it lurched forward.
                      I drove a Ford Probe about 50 Yards with the Starter once...
                      "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                      sigpic
                      "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                      "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                      "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                      "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

red90festyonair, ok sounds good, thanks for the clarification.
                        Last edited by Ryanbmw; 11-29-2017, 03:45 PM.

Comment

I recently swapped my auto festy to manual transmission. I removed the working (self installed) remote start to replace with a viper 4806V long range (for manual trans) that I purchased online. I am stuck however about 80% through with the install. I am having trouble with door triggers (+) & (-) and hand brake wires, and then programming.

Viper does not give installation advice to non-dealers

Comment

Originally posted by Skrapbob View Post
                            I recently swapped my auto festy to manual transmission. I removed the working (self installed) remote start to replace with a viper 4806V long range (for manual trans) that I purchased online. I am stuck however about 80% through with the install. I am having trouble with door triggers (+) & (-) and hand brake wires, and then programming.

Viper does not give installation advice to non-dealers
                            Hi Skrapbob ,
                            All you need to do is connect the negative door trigger input to the dome light circuit, I used the passenger door trigger, because this will catch both doors and be the safest option. You could also catch the feed to the dome light where it runs up the A-pillar.

The positive door trigger will not be used in your installation.

The handbrake input is the negative that feeds the cluster warning bulb, from the switch at the brake.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

This is awesome news! Hopefully I can find some time today to try this out.

Thanks for the tips

Comment

Working...
                              X