Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New head unit makes buzzing noise through all speakers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New head unit makes buzzing noise through all speakers.

As the titles states I've installed a new head unit. It all seems to work well and sounds loud etc, but when turned down low you can hear a buzzing or static sound through all speakers?
    My research leads me to think it may be a bad ground? The ground is attached well to the black ground wire in the harness, so I'm stuck on what to try? I can't seem to trace where the black ground cable is actually grounded to the chassis, can I find this without removing the whole dash?
    Any other ideas what's causing the buzzing noise?
    Ive just purchased this Ford festiva 1995 gli as my first car, and I'm ready to sell it now as the buzzing audio is just not acceptable to me. I'd like to keep the car, but this is a deal breaker.... Help!

There are many causes for radio interference.
    Do you have a capacitor?

Last edited by bravekozak; 01-09-2018, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Hi brave, no i dont what is that? thanks mate

Comment

You could try something like this Inline Noise Filter to see if that helps.
        "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
        sigpic
        "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
        "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
        "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
        "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Thanks, ive read about those but they seem to only work for 50% of people, and ive heard people say it lessens the music output aswell? as a last resort i may try one, but would rather just get a good ground, which from all assessments seems to be the issue. thanks heaps firebush

Some further info

it occurs when the car is not running, so doesnt seem alternator related
          it occurs with and without the Ariel plugged in, so i dont think its the Ariel either.
          But feel free to correct me if im wrong, im good at fixing computers and game consoles, but this is my first outing with car audio.
          Thanks
          Last edited by Ez007; 01-09-2018, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Get a self tapping screw and a ring terminal and just make a new ground for the radio. If this doesn't help then try separating your power wires away from your speaker wires, I don't think this is the issue if it does it while the vehicle is off but it is worth a shot. Also is the Head Unit new or used? maybe there is something wrong inside of it.
            "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
            sigpic
            "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
            "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
            "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
            "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
            https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

If it’s occuring with the car not running, I’m thinking it’s a radio issue. If you have a spare battery, try hooking the radio directly to it without going thru the metal in the car. See if it still has the noise. If so, try another radio.
              Jerry
              Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
              90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
              92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
              93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
                Get a self tapping screw and a ring terminal and just make a new ground for the radio. If this doesn't help then try separating your power wires away from your speaker wires, I don't think this is the issue if it does it while the vehicle is off but it is worth a shot. Also is the Head Unit new or used? maybe there is something wrong inside of it.
                Thanks ill try to make a new ground, if i can find a spot
                Also the power wires and speaker wires are coiled together coming from inside the dash wouldnt it be futile to separate them near the harness when they are wrapped together further down the line?

Its a new headunit but it was given to me by the seller of the car, and told he doesnt know how to hook it up, the stock head unit had already been removed.
                In saying that it does appear to be a cheapo china unit with no brand name, so maybe it is the head unit?

The harness wires from the headunit seem to be very thin and flimsy, could this be causing the grounding issue?

Thanks heaps!

Comment

Originally posted by Team Lightning View Post
                  If it’s occuring with the car not running, I’m thinking it’s a radio issue. If you have a spare battery, try hooking the radio directly to it without going thru the metal in the car. See if it still has the noise. If so, try another radio.
                  I dont have a spare battery sadly,
                  does the ground still work when the car isint running? or does the car need to be on to produce the ground? that would assure me its the head unit if that is the case.

It also produces the humming when the car is running too

Thanks buddy

Comment

The power goes thru the ground regardless. Trying taking the battery loose from the cables and run wires directly to the radio since you don’t have a spare battery. What I’m saying is, isolate the battery from the car as well as the radio from the car. If you still get noise, it’s the radio, if no noise, it’s the electrical system in the car. Then check all grounds you can find. There’s several around the motor. Make sure there’s no paint under the connection of any wires going to the body.
                    Jerry
                    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Working...
                    X