couple of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• couple of questions

ok first, my friend said that he had two 8 inch bass only speakers. if i just took the wires off of the rear speakers and put them on these two speakers, would this work? or would it overload the system? stock alternator, but got a sony head unit.
    second, if i got a 250 watt amp, would i need a new alternator, or would the stock alternator push it? what is the max amp size you could use with the stock alternator?
    thanks
    89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
    92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
    New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

That little amp should be fine with the stock alt.

Comment

if you were to hook up the speaker wires to the subwoofers (bass only speakers) then the subs would act like a normal speaker, you'll need an amp to make the subs put out bass

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

alternator shouldn't be a problem. I used to be running 15' worth of blue neons and two audiobahn 12s with a 1200 watt amp off the stock alternator. If I had the headlights and neons on and the bass cranked up at night, the lights would dim a little when the base hit, but other than that I had no problems
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

thanks for the info guys.
          89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
          92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
          New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck
            alternator shouldn't be a problem. I used to be running 15' worth of blue neons and two audiobahn 12s with a 1200 watt amp off the stock alternator. If I had the headlights and neons on and the bass cranked up at night, the lights would dim a little when the base hit, but other than that I had no problems
            ha, i can turn everything off, only the headlights on, then crank the stereo and my headlights dim REALLY bad!!!

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Can you say "CLIP"? Those amps have to be clipping. Lack of power is an subs worst enemy.. That's a pretty fast way to kill equipment. Most of todays amps will drop out if they start to clip, but it's never good for a sub.

Comment

^^ my amp doesn't cut out, when i watch the capaciter, the lowest the volts ever go is maybe around 11 volts, but for that i need practically a bass tester to drop the volts that low

Comment

^^well a good cap can definitely help, but 11v will kill. I've seen it done plenty of times.

Comment

Working...
                  X