2nd air cleaner snorkel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd air cleaner snorkel

Hi all, just wanted to get your thoughts on this. I have an 88 festiva L+, 4-speed manual, all stock, 191,000 miles, carb.
    I was thinking of a cheapo way of getting more air into the engine. How about an air cleaner snorkel from another 88 carb'd Festy, installed on my original, modified air cleaner, so I would have two of them?
    Thoughts, opinions, wisecracks, please.
    Thanks!
    If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
    Mark S.

won't do anything for you, sorry. besides, how are you going to get past smog with a modified cleaner (i assume you removed the A.I.R. equiptment and are going to use that hole) You CAN however drill 1" wide holes in the outer perimeter of the cleaner top and that will allow more air, but let's face it, it's still a B3 carb w/ no mods. it doesn't need that much air to opperate in it's power band.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

This is what I did for $4.

Worked rather well. I did shorten it up a lot after the picture to take out some of those bends.
      www.dantheoilman.com
      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Dan, his car is carbed....
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

It could still be adapted somehow.

Mine wasn't even "sealed". It just helped direct air flow up there....along with tons of dirt and bugs. LOL. I had clean my air filter every 10k miles.
          www.dantheoilman.com
          AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
          Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
          Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Re: 2nd air cleaner snorkel

Originally posted by deathegg
            Hi all, just wanted to get your thoughts on this. I have an 88 festiva L+, 4-speed manual, all stock, 191,000 miles, carb.
            I was thinking of a cheapo way of getting more air into the engine. How about an air cleaner snorkel from another 88 carb'd Festy, installed on my original, modified air cleaner, so I would have two of them?
            Thoughts, opinions, wisecracks, please.
            Thanks!
            Dear Egg of Death,

With a carbed car I doubt it would matter, because there is no automatic compensation (I believe) so that the car would add more fuel when more air is sensed. You're stuck with whatever fuel jets are in the carb.

With EFI it's a different story. More air sensed = more fuel added; less air (such as in high mountains) = less fuel, as the EFI automatically leans the mixture so the engine isn't running rich. On my lifted 4WD Subaru wagon with EFI, I noticed that the motor seemed starved for air above 3800 RPM. I drilled about 25 holes in the bottom of the airbox, and had nice smooth power all the way to 6500 RPM.

There is no Weber carb kit for Festivas; however, a machine shop could make up an adapter plate to mate a Weber to the stock intake manifold. Just take a stock Festy carb base gasket to the machine shop to use as a guide, along with the kit manifold so they can drill/tap the holes for the kit's studs that hold the Weber to the custom manifold, and size the hole for air/fuel from the carb to the manifold.

I'd recommend kit # K730 on this page. These carbs are wonderfully tunable, and typically give both more power and also better gas mileage. I've had them on three different vehicles.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thanks all for the replies.
              I guess I'm stuck with what God gave it for now!
              If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
              Mark S.

Comment

Working...
              X