engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine swap

I'd like to do an engine swap on a 89 Festiva. The car is carbed and I'd like to keep it that way. I live in Manhattan and this car allows me to drive whenever I wish and return to my neighborhood and find a parking spot and considering a garage in my neighborhood runs about $600 a month (not a misprint) the car is a godsend.
    The car is a manual with air conditioning and all I'd like to do is be able to keep up with traffic and be able to pull going up hills.

What engine should I be looking for? A carbed engine or a FI engine. I'm also considering buying a short block from a remanufacturer.

I'd like some help in getting started with what I should be looking for and what would be the easiest swap. Thanks

Here is a deal on a brand new Factory short block 1.3 ..

I could just about guarantee it is cheaper than a reman short block .
    ------------------------------------------------
    The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
    Smart Passion white with H-D interior
    HD2500 Duramax Chevy
    Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
    Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
    Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
    Z28 LS1 power 500 +
    90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
    It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Good call on the short block. That's a pretty good deal. How about this one? http://tinyurl.com/2xlcms

Comment

Packrat.

Smoking deal on the short block, however it's not what I'm looking for and perhaps I should make myself clearer.
        I have a perfectly good 1.3 in the car with only 114,000 on it but it just does not allow me to accelerate at highway speeds.
        I'd like to do the 1.6 and get in the neighborhood of 80/100 horsepower.
        I have no intention of thrashing the car, pulling wheelies or anything like that. I want to increase HP and keep it simple. Thanks again

Comment

As I see this post has had 64 hits and I still can't get an answer.

Comment

hmmm1.6 is alot faster
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2065064/1
            Paulbarrera12.com
            Festiva Visualizer Project

Comment

The answer is all around you.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

Not trying to be rude.

Comment

I did a 1.6 into my 90 festiva and I think you would be happy with that. My car was already f.i. so I got a 89 1.6 f.i. mazda engine and ecm. The 1.3 was 62 hp the 1.6 is 82 hp, thats your power increase, you do the math. Is that enough of a gain? All of this was just plug and play. Now if you go and do what I did, you'll be able to resell the old 1.3, and really reduce the cost of the upgrade. Oh by the way, I've since moved the 1.6 into my newer aspire and now the 1.6 (2 plug)ecm is avail for sale fyi.
                  97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                  CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                  Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

1.6 is your best bet, they are as close to plug and play you will find as far as engine swaps for the festiva are concerned and you can use your currenty tranny and everything.

Comment

Thank you all for your answers. Anomoly I have read through all the material now and previously. The reason I've become a member in FF is so that I don't make mistakes.
                      I still have a number of questions about both the intake and exaust manifolds and I absolutely want to retain the A/C. What I'd like to do is order a rebuilt engine from one of the rebuilders, a b6 E and the info on engine swaps line anomoly posted I still have some confusion as to VI-b and to a lesser extent VI-c
                      As this will eventually wind up being my primary ride I am willing to spend whatever is necessary but I want to do this without confusion.
                      As an afterthought I think I should mention that the carb setup is in perfect working order. Will my carbed intake manifold work with a stock rebuilt b6-E?
                      Thanks again and all help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

The answers here have all been geared toward swapping fuel injected cars, the info wanted is to swap to an '89 carbureated car and to keep it a carburated car with out further changes. That rules out all the above answers doesn't it?
                        it runs so sweet
                        91 L 5spd

Comment

No, we're telling what we've done, as an example, for what might be done. This helps explain difficulty and expense level, as well as the "performance" level. Has anyone done his EXACT swap? No one one who's answered up yet, but hey, he could always ask for a refund! Oh my bad! this is FREE advice. Well there's always "go pay for a consultant".

Oh whats this?
                          What engine should I be looking for? A carbed engine or a FI engine. I'm also considering buying a short block from a remanufacturer
                          97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                          CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                          Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by kzbill
                            The answers here have all been geared toward swapping fuel injected cars, the info wanted is to swap to an '89 carbureated car and to keep it a carburated car with out further changes. That rules out all the above answers doesn't it?
                            Except the ones where they are reccomending a 1.6 swap. The 323 had a carb'd B6.

Comment

I think qdawg has a b6 carby swap IIRC.
                              It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Working...
                              X