LPG Conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LPG Conversion?

Anyone got a festy running on straight LPG, or a dual fuel system?

A mate was trying to persuade me last night to ditched the unleaded fuel system, rip all the pollution gear off, carby, etc, and put a donut LPG gas tank into the spare wheel well ... then turbo it at a later date.

Anyone got comments on running festivas on LPG?

The only problem with LPG (propane) or CNG (compressed natural gas) is their lower energy density. You're running a pretty small engine now, and you'll lose at least 15% with an LPG setup. Adding a turbo would help, but then you'd be compensating for the initial loss, before making any extra power.

I've seen too many long term LPG cars to ever want to deal with them again.

Comment

^^^harrumph! way too many NJ Turnpike CNG Cruisers for me to have any love for the fuel.
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

with the rebate here in australia it's an idea, given that the b3 already has 9.7:1 compression. I've seen one mazda bubble and the owner raved about the economy. I'd say go straight lpg, if you can find a tank small enough to fit in the petrol tank spot (what are the measurements for the stock fuel tank?)
        :angel12:-Santos
        I Officially Hate Spelling Cow v1.6.0

Comment

CNG and propane are different. propane has btu's similar to gasoline, and CNG lacks the power unless you raise the compression ratio of the engine a lot or turbocharge it. However if you turbocharge an engine running off propane you wont have the knock you can expect with substandard liquid fuel + too much timing. I dont know how a propane kit would be set up with a turbo, some sort of dual regulator system when boost is present, or a t fitting with solenoid that provides fuel when the demand goes thru the roof?
          1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Working...
          X