B3T What fails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B3T What fails?

I'm looking to slap a turbo on my b3, and everywhere I have read on here states that the b3 will blow after a year or so. I'd like to collect some info as to where and what exactly fails when they blow.

I do know I will be better off doing a BP swap, but that wont happen for awhile. So for now I will be putting a TD04 on my b3.

The stock computer doesn't keep up with the fuel needs very well so it makes tuning difficult. You could throw in larger injectors but then you would run rich when not on full boost. I have seen them go into such a lean condition that it melted the spark plug straps. You could switch to a coil on plug system and tune it but you also need a different throttle position switch and a crank angle sensor I believe.

There are a few people that have turboed one without blowing it up yet but there are even more that have blown up. I am not sure if there is an actual weak spot that fails consistently though.
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

I have something in the workings for a standalone ecu, so I'm not too worried about that end of things. I will have to figure out injectors

Dang, from what you do know does it seem like the head or lower end is the more common to give first?

Comment

I'm not sure really as I have only seen that one fail. Out of the N/A engines, I can tell you that the majority of the failures that I have seen have been blown head gaskets due to overheating so I would suggest making sure you upgrade the radiator and make sure you have a good water pump/thermostat. I have never had a b3 go bad on me personally but I have bought a few with bad heads. I did buy one that threw a rod at 120k miles but it looked like they neglected to ever change the oil. There was so much metal dust in the top end that I could scoop it out with a spoon...
        sigpic
        "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

Comment

Alright. Currently my B3 needs a rebuild as it is. She was beat on pretty good befote I got my hands on it.

Might not be a bad idea to figure some head studs that fit as well for boosting. Same with porting and polishing the head and intake a little.

Comment

There is a lot of improvement that can be made in the exhaust ports, just don't freak out like I did when I found the huge hole in the back of Cylinder 4.... that is an EGT system that was not mandatory in the US cars.
            sigpic

Comment

I'll have to keep that in mind.

Currently i'm more worried about the fact that i'm chewing through oil. A bit afraid to change the oil pan gasket and oil to blow out somewhere else. Sadly i think i'm getting blow-by with my rings more than i'm leaking oil.

Comment

Working...
              X