Coil packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil packs

So at some point before I do too much more, I would like to know what everyones preferences are when running coil on plugs. What brands to you like and more importantly what vehicle do you "borrow" them from? (currently this would go on a B3, later on a BP)

There is only one person that I know that runs coil on plug for a b3 and they are using Chevy truck coils I believe.
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

The B3 is such a small capacity, low performance engine that a single coil with distributor in good working order is perfectly adequate even with a turbo. Mounting COPs on a SOHC head is possible but not a good idea because it exposes the coils to a lot of exhaust heat. Individual remote mounted coils are possible, either mounting them on the rocker cover (not much room especially with crossover pipe) or somewhere else in the engine bay.

I am currently running 2 x M&W twin post coils in a waste spark setup on my B6 DOHC. I don't like the external igniter and associated wiring, and the fact that they are not COP, Other coils you could use are various Toyota COPS (from 1ZZ etc.), R35 GTR COPS or IGN1As (not COP, aftermarket high performance). Any of these coils are good for at least 200hp per cylinder lol.

These inductive coils are so good that CDI ignition systems are seldom used these days except on extreme performance methanol drag engines.If buying COPS the most important thing is getting genuine OEM ones, as there are some inferior Chinesium ones being sold with OEM part numbers.

Comment

Working...
      X