New here, 93 festiva 5 speed swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here, 93 festiva 5 speed swap?

Hey Howdy Hey, just picked me up a 1993 Festy with an auto trans. Drove it for a month and started to leak oil bad. Anyways I've got the motor on a table just about finished up waiting for the head to come back, and I find out my local JY has a 91 festy 5 speed out of the car ready to go for 250. I'm super new to these cars and it'll be my first auto to manual swap, so anything I should look out for? Difference in years matter? I know i need to hang a pedal and get the clutch assembly/flywheel I found all online cheap. Looked around on the forums couldn't really find the answer I'm looking for. Thx in advance

You can just get the pedal box for clutch/brake from that same festiva and bolts right to yours.

Might as well do throw out bearing too since youre there.

I think the ealier models have 4 speeds. Im not sure about the axles but i think auto axles will work but only like 40% sure on that.

You will also need the starter from 5 speed. And check the harness. There are certain plugs that only automatics and only manuals have

Comment

Different parts for Auto vs Manual transmission
      Clutch/brake assembly with clutch cable and cable attaching bracket to transmission
      Shifter assembly
      Key cylinder (but you can use the automatic one removing the interlock switch)
      Starter
      Plate between the engine and transmission
      Braces that attach to the side of the engine and bolt to the transmission on each side
      Flywheel vs flexplate (clutch and pressure plate and clutch release bearing needed manual).
      The downpipe is shorter for the manual and the bracket that braces it to the engine at the front is different (you probably will have an exhaust leak using the auto trans one without some modification)
      You will need the manual transmission mounts The rear one is narrower where it attaches to the transmission.
      The wire harness that goes behind the engine
      Wiring will need to be modified for the clutch interlock and reverse lights to work correctly
      You will need the boot that covers the shifter to fit the auto trans shift housing and the piece that attaches it to console (these are very hard to find these). or get the mount bracket and cubby for the manual and accept the cut in the carpet that is different from the automatic.
      ECM is different but the one from the automatic should still work I believe.
      Cooling fan housing is different but you can still use your automatic trans one.
      If you have AC there was no extra cooling fan on the front for manual trans cars. The relay to turn this on is not needed on the manual.
      May have forgotten other something but maybe not.

I switched Rosie from an automatic to manual several years ago.. you can probably find that thread by searching for Rosie

Anyone near enough... I have a good running engine from a 92 with starter newer clutch pressure plate, side braces and good 5 speed you can have for $500 of you want to come pick it up.

Sorry but I already sold the clutch/brake pedal assembly and the clutch cable last week.
      Last edited by 1990new; 01-28-2021, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X