Z series and Z series hybrid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z series and Z series hybrid

I just wanted to start up a discussion about Mazda Z series engines swapped into Festivas.
    I built a hybrid ZMde/ b6t engine for my race car and it has been working pretty well. The Z series engines fit pretty well into a Festiva and will bolt to the stock trans. They are more readily available at most salvage yards than the popular B series swaps.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Did you do the hybrid to get lower compression with the b6t lower end for boost? I've wondered if swaping a stock zm-de would be a good alternative to the capri b6d. I've got 2 b6ds but there getting really up there in milage 300k+ still run good but burn some oil . Is the 1.5 zl-ve a better alternative with more horse power?
      Only thing that has turned me off of these swaps is engine management .

Comment

William,
        built the hybrid engine specifically due to the port design of the ZM-de head. Because my goal is to move my TQ curve higher up, I wanted intake ports with less radius. I'm actually using the 1.5L ZV-VE crank in a b6 miata block to acquire a shorter stroke, but allow myself the capacity for 81mm bore under boost. The b6d/t block has more material for overbore than the later Z series (or late b series) blocks. I also prefer the crank vent setup on the b6d/t block. I'm running custom rods and pistons to give my engine a rod ratio of 1.75:1 and a compression ratio of 8.5:1.
        Currently, my setup is limited by my cams. I need to have custom cams ground for this engine. It easily makes over 400hp, but still comes on too hard too early and my TQ starts dropping off around 6500rpm. I want this engine to pull hard up to 9k or higher.

Comment

Working...
        X