The "Festiva Tracer" project swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Festiva Tracer" project swap

I named my white 1988 Ford Festiva "Festiva Tracer" I brought it for $400 Festiva only had 141k orginal miles on it and not really much any rusty on body. The pervious owner did overheated the engine and cracked the head cylinder block and probably was boiling hella hot popped the two block freeze plugs out or it was incorrect using plain water 100% without any coolant fluid it got frozen winter. Ugh... It originally have 4 sp manual and I was not liking without the overdrive so it going be swap out for 5 sp from 1989 Mercury Tracer I think it had G25MR with clutch fork style and it don't seem was F series tranny. the Festiva axles spline too small to fit the Tracer 5 sp tranny. I will have to find the 323GT or Capri XR2 axles to make it work. It going use 1989 Mercury Tracer 1.6L engine with 1.3L Festiva carb intake manifold for now.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Festiva GTX; 08-22-2022, 09:42 AM.

I will be watching your progress...

Comment

Might have to find me another Festiva! My last one was also a white '89, although an auto. I'll be following your progress too.

Regards,

Tim
      White '89L auto - Sold!
      Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

I finally got the Mercury Tracer cluster that had the tach and the clock. I was bit disappointed it does display green clock light and I was hoping for orange or red display light. Well, better than the empty in the hands and i'll try modify with Festiva blank deleted clock to attach the Mercury Tracer clock.

Anyone have done success with Mazda 323 or Mercury Tracer cluster swap? it does need lot cutting and glue together pieces for trim cluster? I am sure I can figured out with re-wiring. Only I can remember many years ago the very similar angle like 1986 Mazda 626 pretty digital cluster but never got chance to mod the trim cluster to use in the Ford Festiva.

Didn't the 1988-1989 Mercury Tracer 1.6L have two different version for front 1.6L engine mount? The other had the "bar hanging style"
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Festiva GTX; 08-24-2022, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
          Might have to find me another Festiva! My last one was also a white '89, although an auto. I'll be following your progress too.

Regards,

Tim
          Really!? Once you touch the any Ford Festiva then you already got the poison in your blood for lifetime it will make you hungry to get one for yourself! or can't quit thinking about Ford Festiva lol.

Comment

The clock bezel is the expensive thing..
            I bought five gray bezels when I ordered my power window armrest from Germany a few years ago, but they are all gone now.
            I'm was trying to find one in sandlewood that I can use in Nellie but gave up on that.

The clock from an 88-90 Tracer will fit with slight modification.
            I had to trim some plastic off the top and bottom of the left tab and some off the bottom of the right tab.

You may have to shorten the post for the dash attachment too... but not sure I remember correctly on that.

The tab angle is also different on the Tracer clock so you won't be able to tighten the screws like on the stock one.
            but it will work and looks just like the Festiva clock when you put the Festiva bezel around it.

The connections are the smaller ones but contact points match the Festiva clock points and there is a label
            showing what wires go where on the back of the clock. You will need the smaller 4 place female connector to
            make your wiring harness.
            Last edited by 1990new; 08-25-2022, 01:02 PM.

Comment

If am not mistaking the tracer came with a 1.6 sohc and the trans should be an f-series trans not the g.

Comment

Today I spend a lot time cleaning off the oily on engine and tranny. It looks much better but still few dirty spots. For sure i will need to replace all gaskets before putting in the Festiva Tracer.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by chiquito1228 View Post
                  If am not mistaking the tracer came with a 1.6 sohc and the trans should be an f-series trans not the g.
                  Is there way to ID the G or F comparing transmission? I did tried use Festiva axles it was small spline and it don't fit it all.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Festiva GTX; 08-25-2022, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Festiva GTX View Post

Is there way to ID the G or F comparing transmission? I did tried use Festiva axles it was small spline and it don't fit it all.
                    Axles.jpg
                    Dont see any mention of Tracer in this chart.. sorry. Possibly the same as the 323 F?
                    Last edited by 1990new; 08-25-2022, 07:34 PM.

Comment

The festiva transmission is an e series. Axles wont work. But if you run the part number on rockauto those tracer axles should work

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post

Axles.jpg
                        Dont see any mention of Tracer in this chart.. sorry. Possibly the same as the 323 F?

I am going to counting the spline inner now for double check and I believe its 24/24 but axle length might be bit different and I don't have them right now but I do believe similar to NA Capri (non-turbo) or the 323 F.

Comment

Originally posted by chiquito1228 View Post
                          The festiva transmission is an e series. Axles wont work. But if you run the part number on rockauto those tracer axles should work
                          I agreed. Mercury Tracer major parts really same as Mazda 323. Only few different.

Comment

Its official my 5 speed transmission is F series and it takes 24 spline spline! While G series supposed be 26 spline and (Festiva) E series 22 spline Thanks everyone for tips!

Comment

With the exception of the rio transmission. Its an f series but uses 26 spline axles.

Comment

Working...
                              X