No announcement yet.

Engine titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The intake and exhaust are different, and that is why most people don't use those engines, but the blocks are the same, for the most part, so they really are not that different.
    The Festiva Store
    Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Gforcefd View Post
      I thought we were just keeping it the simple engines for the Festiva and what we use. The miata engines don't normally become swaps do they because of the different wiring?
      Some of us haven't been around as long as some others on these engines. So, you don't know unless you ask. I have looked at the Miata engine. Looks very similar. That's as far as I could take it.

Comment

Sorry I was thinking that all miata engines use wasted spark, and I thought the other mazda engines where something else that is all I meant.

Comment

The 1.5 dohc was avail in some 95-98 "jellybean" proteges

-Scott
          Aqua 93 L
          Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
          White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

Well, you're still one up on me. I don't have a clue what "wasted spark" is.

Comment

Wasted spark ignition systems fire two spark plugs simultaneously. Two ignition coils serve four cylinders. A spark pulse for the compression cycle of one cylinder, the other spark from the same coil is "wasted" on the exhaust cycle of another cylinder. Huh?

One cylinder lawn mower engines do something similar with a spark on each revolution.

Comment

My apologies regarding some of the earlier comments.
                I mistakenly thought it was a full list of swaps that fit, not just U.S availablity.

My bad.

Comment

BAH! No need to appologize mate! Its actually kind of cool to see what other engines are out there. Im sure theres a couple here that werent there.
                  Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                  - Unknown
                  I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                  - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                  - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Yeah its cool to know all the engines, sorry if I came off as a ARSE..... I would like to know them all, I just thought the guy was asking about the basic ones.

Comment

Originally posted by leapin View Post
                      The 1.5 dohc was avail in some 95-98 "jellybean" proteges
                      That engine is a Z5 and has been swapped successfully by some folks overseas.
                      1991 L 408,000 miles+ w/NEW B3 longblock!!
                      2008 Nissan Versa S HB

Comment

The Protegé 1.5L and B5 are different. The Protegé one is a Z5, as mentionned earlier, and the B5 came in various forms, but I prefer the B5-ZE form. We are actually swapping one in our festiva. The wiring is pretty close to the BP wiring, but we wanted to use the B6-DE intake manifold (for the VICS shutter valve). The head is the same as a B6-DE, block differs slightly (internals only).

The engine, with stock intake manifold and puny 40 mm TB. (the smallest i've ever seen).

The miata has a B6-ZE (116hp) with different cams, management, sensors... It could be run as a B6-DE but you would need a donor B6-DE anyways for mounts, intake manifold, ECU, wiring, exhaust manifold... The list does not stop there. For the 5 hp difference it would make, I'd just swap the cams in a B6-DE.

The same thing can be done with the miata 1.8L (94-00) BP-ZE. You'd still need a BP-DE for the same reasons.

Comment

hi guys ive got a gtx 1.3 dohc i race it here in nz it goes like a cut cat

Comment

another interesting comparison would be if people would chime in to what they believe the stock internals of each engine can hold? both NA and turbo?

Comment

Does it follow that the 1.6 DOHC from a Capri is a B6D?
                              186,000 miles per second is not just a good idea, it's the law

1990 yellow L+ (l8ly)
                              1990 yellow L+ (sunryz)
                              1992 aqua L (agua)
                              1993 blue L (aurora)

Comment

Originally posted by hot4dl8ly View Post
                                Does it follow that the 1.6 DOHC from a Capri is a B6D?
                                Yes.
                                Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                                '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                                '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Working...
                                X