FMS cam ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMS cam ???

I'm looking for anyone with experience with a FMS comp. cam. I need to know if I will lose bottom end power with this cam? I'm planning a winter project for the Festiva. The mods will be a head rebuild,milled 30 thou. for higher compession with a home port & polish.

these mods are planned primarily for improved fuel economy.
    Current
    Retired

you'll be good as long as you use a close to stock sized exhaust (no bigger than 2") and the stock or B3 header (small tubes).

the cam will also allow you to play in a different rev range, so use that to your advantage.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by J Weaver View Post
      I need to know if I will lose bottom end power with this cam?
      Yes. You are using a race cam. You will make more power higher in the powerband at the expense of low end grunt. More power up top more fuel used....
      It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

I dont notice a lag in power too much, but then again I installed it in a B6 not a B3....

Plenty of power in 1st lol almost too much.... IF there were such a thing !
        1990 Festiva
        - 5 spd. swap
        - B6 SOHC swap
        - Custom Interior
        **********Currently Under MAJOR Reconstruction ************

Comment

the comp cam isn't the race cam, what little bottom end you loose won't be felt once you're out of first

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Ahh I see. I thought they had a performance & competition cams not a comp & race.

I retract my statement.
            It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

I don't want to take a chance at losing any bottom end power.I'll probably end up skipping the cam.
              Current
              Retired

Comment

Yeah i'm not thinking that a performance cam will decrease fuel consumption.

Comment

J, pony up the cash and get the cam, it's worth it... really.

Comment

By adding higher compression you might have about the same low end and much more up top. I know the b3 can only breathe so much but you should be ok.
                    Personally i wouldn't do any work to a b3 when a b6 fits the same, and at least you guys do not have to reharness to change computers like I have to in the aspire. Bonus is the cam will work on the b6 and with the extra displacement the comp cam would make you happy for sure.
                    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Well I just got the head back from the machine shop valve job and milled .030.
                      Fms cam is laying on the workbench now all I need to do is find time to swap heads.
                      I,ll also be using my modified cam gear to advance the cam approx.4 deg.

Hopefully I'll have the thing running in a few weeks.

getnpsi... I'm sticking w/the B3 for fuel mileage reasons I don't think my buddys B6 will ever get the 48-53 mpg I'm getting with the B3.

Current
                      Retired

Comment

let us know how it goes once installed mate

im looking at doing pretty much the same thing
                        1996 GLi Festiva
                        Clarion DB36MP
                        Xplod 16cm XS-GF1621X (x4)
                        Pioneer 30cm TS-W305C
                        ALPINE MRP-F250

Comment

Got the head and cam installed def has more power.

with the FMS comp cam installed straight up (no advance) I would say it has less power from idle to 2500 than a stock Festiva but from 4000-6000 it def pulls much harder.

I then advanced the cam approx. 4 deg. by egging the hole on the cam gear.now I have
                          a bit more torque down in the lower rpms but sacrifice a bit up top. this is the setting I'll keep I think it's a good compromise for low rpm torque and high rpm power.

I did try advancing the cam appox. 7 deg. but wasn't happy with the results I didn't gain much power down low but lost plenty up top.

For anyone wanting more usable power from the 1.3 without spending money I would highly recomend advancing the stock cam 4 deg. Advancing the cam will move the powerband lower where you spend most of your driving time. one thing to remember is this will not make raise your peak hp it will only improve your power in the lower rpms. NOTE: If you are always reving your car to redline this may not be for you as you have sacrificed a few hundred rpms of power at high rpms for more power at low rpms.

In a test I did stock vs advanced 5th gear 30-60 my times were 12% quicker with the advanced cam.

I hope I haven't been to confusing if I have feel free to ask questions.
                          J.W>
                          Current
                          Retired

Comment

hm. not knocking the change in the cam position but how much power was gained from a fresh head with a little more compression.

i have an extra cam gear sitting here, which way do i hog this bad boy
                            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

If you are looking at the motor from the passenger side you'll be hogging the hole larger to the right. be carefull when hogging it out as you only need about 1/2 tooth on the cam gear.
                              I had it easy as I did it on a spare head laying on the workbench.
                              Current
                              Retired

Comment

Working...
                              X