Turbo the B3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo the B3?

I have a bone stock 93 Festi with 43k miles. I also have a tdo4-14g turbo, stock from my wrx. Is the stock motor worth the trouble of fabing up the piping? Does it reliably hold boost? And what do you use for tuning?

My WRX with a bit of tuning put down 250ish at the wheels with this turbo. What whp would be expected from the B3?

Thanks.
    '93 BP-T 57trim TO4E - Coilovers - 13x7 steelies - 175/60 - 48k mi

To double the output of an engine you typically need to get way up there in the double digit numbers of boost. I dont feel that a b3 can take more than 10psi without letting go after a small amount of time. To make the 250hp your wrx made you need an engine that makes over 100hp n/a, such as the bp. this is not even bringing up the extra tuning and electronics you would need so there isnt too much timing advance. the wrx turbo would also spool too late as the b3 can only puff out so much energy.

that being said, if you fabbed up a kit for the b3 engine there would be people interested in it, as it can be walked over onto a b6 engine, with more displacement there would be more power, maybe enough to notice.

My advice to people with good running low miles b3's is to buy a second festiva that does not run, swap it in, and resell the car. A running festiva nets good money, usually enough to fund a swap engine and supporting parts.
    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

yes do it!!
      a guy locally here had a t25 turbo b3 festiva and it hauled+it got awesome mileage (42+). he used a b6 ecu/b6 injectors/bp MAF. he also used a safcII for fine tuning and ran about 8psi with a probe gt intercooler. that car was awesome and as far as i know its still running.

Comment

bp's are VAF also not MAF...so how did he manage running a safc??

turbo probe from when 88-92??
        Last edited by festivaWES; 11-04-2008, 09:46 PM. Reason: edit
        ---------------------------------------------------
        The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
        ---------------------------------------------------
        BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

yes, 90 probe gt intercooler from a local junkyard. it mounted next to the radiator. i'll have to see what maf or vaf he used exactly, but i thought it was off a bp protege.

he also had a tubular manifold with the turbo flange welded on. i think he said it was originally an aspire manifold.

Comment

Hmmmm tempting, but I think I'll sell the turbo, I have way bigger plans in store....
            '93 BP-T 57trim TO4E - Coilovers - 13x7 steelies - 175/60 - 48k mi

Comment

before the bp i turbo'd the b3. IHIVJ11 from a 626, msd btm and a 12:1 fmu. hauled butt with 10psi. drove it daily and still got over 40mpg. would walk a mustang gt from a roll. ha
              Last edited by GenevaDirt; 11-12-2008, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Wes did i catch that you are turboing a b8-me now? How is that coming along?
                1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Working...
                X