Would like to have a 5 speed instead of a 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would like to have a 5 speed instead of a 4

I am new here and this is my first post! I have an 89 Festiva with 135k miles on it. Great car. It gets awesome gas mileage in the city but is terrible on the open road. The RPMs run really high at the listed speed limit.

I would really like to make it a 5 speed. I think the engine would calm down a bit at higher speeds. Thoughts?

Where could I get a 5 speed for it? I do not even know where to start. I am glad I found this forum though.

It would be really awesome to put another motor in it as well.

Thanks in advance!

Well, the 5spd tranny would bolt right up to your motor. It would give better gas mileage too. Welcome to the site too, this is the very right place to ask people about these sweet little cars! These people are awesome on this site!
    -Josh R

Comment

It would make a big difference......and Festivas are among the easiest cars in the world to do those kind of things.....Use the search function and I'm sure there are a couple of threads about it. Also, put your location in your profile...there may be others nearby who could assist in the swap.

Try this:

1989 Red L- The Baron
      www.letstalkbeatles.com
      Link to Baron Pics:
      http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...nmervap/Baron/
      1990 White GL- Chuck (for now)

Comment

Welcome brauchma! (a phase I don't say everyday!)
        This might help:

Sparky,
        Mind giving him instructions on how to add his location to his profile?
        It isn't always easy for nubies to navigate this site.
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Sure! Brauchma, look at the top of this page....you will find a blue tool bar.....in that tool bar, click on the "User CP"....that will be the User Control Panel. On the left side of that page, find the words "edit location"....click on that and it will take you another page....go to the bottom of that page in the big box that says "additional information". That's where you can add where you live. Welcome, sir, and happy motoring!
          1989 Red L- The Baron
          www.letstalkbeatles.com
          Link to Baron Pics:
          http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...nmervap/Baron/
          1990 White GL- Chuck (for now)

Comment

Glad to be here. I should have put my location in right away. <slap my hand>

I will check out those links.

Comment

Welcome again, you say that you live in MN, where in MN are you? I live about 30miles west of St.Cloud.
              -Josh R

Comment

91blu - sent you a PM

How much would a 5 speed cost me? I am pumped to get better gas millage at higher speeds. She has a little oil leak as well. It is a slow one though.

I breezed over the suggested links in the forum. Is the swap tough for a rookie tinkerer? My dad is pretty savy. Just curious.

Comment

if you have an 89 festiva with the original trans you would not get a lower gear with a five speed trans. Most of the four speed transmissions had the same final gearing as the five speeds, they just had one extra gear. Early 88 festivas had an odd 4-speed that had lower gearing but you probably don't have one of those trannies.
                  The Festiva Store
                  Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

how would you tell if your trans is the lower gearing 1?

Comment

Originally posted by nonamekid View Post
                      if you have an 89 festiva with the original trans you would not get a lower gear with a five speed trans. Most of the four speed transmissions had the same final gearing as the five speeds, they just had one extra gear.
                      I dont think this is right according to your post here.
                      Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                      - Unknown
                      I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                      - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                      - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Originally posted by nonamekid View Post
                        if you have an 89 festiva with the original trans you would not get a lower gear with a five speed trans. Most of the four speed transmissions had the same final gearing as the five speeds, they just had one extra gear. Early 88 festivas had an odd 4-speed that had lower gearing but you probably don't have one of those trannies.
                        Here is the funny thing. I have always known that my festy is an 89. I go into a Napa to get a new air filer and they give me a square air filter for an 89. I have to tell them I have a round filter. They say something about an 88 that has a round one. Thoughts?

I am curious if I have always been wrong about it. Can I tell from the VIN #?

Comment

'88-'89 manuals were carbed = truncated cylinder element
                          '89 Autos are EFI = square filter element
                          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                          '92 Aqua parts Car
                          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                          Your holy ghost will not save you.
                          Your God plutonium will not save you.
                          In fact...
                          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                          X