BP highway RPMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BP highway RPMs

Hey guys, it's been a while since I had my BP in my car, and got used to shift it by ear. I now installed an ebay tach, and I have doubts about its precision, compared to the engine sound. I get 3000 RPM at 120 Km/h (75 MPH) and the highest I've taken the engine, according to the tach, was 5000 RPM, after which I let go, as it sounded like it was spinning faster than that and was going to hit the fuel cut soon. And yes, I put the switch on the 4-cyl mode, and it's wired correctly, based on the many threads I read here. So can you BP guys with tachs give me a few examples of RPM/speed ratios? By the way I still have the stock Festiva tranny. Thanks!!!
    The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

Doesn't matter what engine you have. It's the tranny that determines engine rpm while in motion. 3000 @ 75 sounds right to me.
    -Bryant

Comment

3000 @ 75 mph is correct. 4000 @ 100 mph, and 4200 is 105 mph and that is the highest i have seen it go.
      The Festiva Store
      Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

yeah, you're good to go. when i had the stock 1.3 in Scrappy, i would shift by ear. put the tach in and found that i was shifting at 3000 (sounded like it was going to blow up). swapped in the built 1.6 and the sound is TOTALY different. if i had the power, i wouldn't shift till 7500 (that's where it sounds good).
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

i just use the fuel cut to tell me when to shift..
          YOU WILL HEINZ 57!!!!

Comment

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Working...
            X