Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY air/fuel ratio meter

Hi

Is there a way to make a DIY air/fuel ratio meter. I was wondering if I can buy a small LCD volt meter that reads from 0.01v to 0.1v dc to read the a/f ratio. Does anyone have tried it? Or is there another way? I can buy a gauge but I prefer to make it myself...

Thanks
    :festiva: 1995 Kia Pride, 1.3 EFI, manual. :fred:

Yes I've found that there are plans to make an air/fuel
    gauge for about $40 bucks!
    But then you can buy them new for starting at $25...
    97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
    CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
    Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

but those air fuel gauges that cost $25 bucks are not a really good idea, they only measure if your in a very narrow range, but if you going to do any kind of performance stuff with your engine you really need a wideband. Zeitronix makes a really nice one but your looking at $300+ for the setup.

Comment

lancerevo:
        What plan are you using?
        This? http://www.scirocco.org/tech/misc/afgauge/af.html
        Here's a kit ou can buy: http://www.impconcepts.com/airfuelmeterforsale.htm

Comment

your range should be 0.1-1.0 VDC not .01-.1
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

"your range should be 0.1-1.0 VDC not .01-.1" Sorry. You are correct. My mistake.
            Last edited by lancerevo; 06-25-2009, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lancerevo View Post
              "your range should be 0.1-1.0 VDC not .01-.1" Sorry. You are correct. My mistake.
              In the U.S. we have Harbor Freight. Digital multimeters as low as $3 on sale. $5 not on sale.
              They operate on a 9 volt battery. Using the 2000 millivolt range, one of these might do the job for you.
              Last edited by CharlieZ; 06-25-2009, 10:34 AM. Reason: add link

Comment

I have bought a volt meter that reads 0-2v. It have worked very well. My engine is running lean after 4000rpm at wot in say, 3rd gear. I have rotated the vaf wheel and changed the setting for the flap to make it richer. It worked but now I saw a decrease in fuel economy

Comment

Narrowbands are pretty much for looks.
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost
                  13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

If you want a narrowband that bad ill sell you mine for 20 shipped lol. They are for looks and are completely worthless though.

Has caught the most Festivas on Fire on this board!!

Comment

Best Wideband O2 Controllers around, 0.01 Lambda accurate, fast response, 2 year warranty. Open source @ $35. Plug & play @ $75. 52mm gauge w/ display @ $110
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Stoichiometric Air/Fuel Ratio of Common Fuels
                        Gasoline(Petrol) = 14.7:1
                        Methanol = 6.4:1
                        Compressed Natural Gas(CNG) = 17.45:1
                        Diesel = 14.5:1
                        Nitromethane = 1.7:1 (Stuff used in top fuel dragsters)
                        E10(10% Ethanol, 90% Gasoline) = 14.13:1
                        E15(15% Ethanol, 85% Gasoline) = 13.8:1
                        E85(85% Ethanol, 15% Gasoline) = 9.7:1
                        Ethanol(E100) = 9:1 (Alcohol)

"From the factory, most vehicles (like: BMW, AUDI, Mercedes, VW, Toyota and mostly Japanese brands ) are pre-set to 14.3 to 14.7 parts air to one part fuel (but physically it is known, that one part of fuel need 20 to 24 parts of Oxygen, not the air, that means that for the optimal combustion the fuel/air ratio must much higher!). While is this 14/1 air to fuel a fine ratio for emissions...? For sure NOT! the best ratio for fuel economy is significantly higher. Technically speaking, the higher the A/F ratio the better your fuel mileage, but most cars can only handle about 16:1 before overheating or engine damage as follow. The optimal ratio is 24++ parts of air (at least) to 1 part of the fuels like gasoline (petrol), ¬ for diesel even higher!"
                        Last edited by bravekozak; 08-20-2014, 09:40 AM.

Comment

You probably want a wideband, right?

The deal with wideband is that you need a processor to control the heater - the processor reads sensor temperature and heats it up accordingly. There is a number of open source designs for software and hardware, but that's a bit more complex then soldering five resistors together. Given all this, a $50 Bosch sensor and a $50 controller with a small LCD is a great deal
                          rusEfi - DIY ECU
                          93 EFI: tach cluster, aspire mirrors & spindles. ZX2 master cylinder, BP+G25 swap with a door hinge, rio struts. 205/50r15, 140mph speedometer,rear disk brakes, mini cooper + subaru front brakes rear sway bar

Comment

Working...
                          X