b3/B6 SOHC 8 Valve vs. 1.6 B6t exhaust port spacing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• b3/B6 SOHC 8 Valve vs. 1.6 B6t exhaust port spacing question

anyone happen to know the difference in port spacing between a b3/b6 sohc vs. a b6t. I am curious if it were cost effective to purchase a b6t tubular mainfold for say a miata and cut off the head flange and weld on a b6 sohc8 valve flange. im guessing they will be slightly wider due to the larger pistons and cylinder spacing, the center ports (#'s 2&3 of my fms b6 sohc header measure about 2 1/4 inch from center of port to port. ports 1 to 2 measure about 3 1/2" center to center as well as ports 3 to 4. from ports 1 to 4 about 8 7/8". could prove helpful for someone looking to turbo a b3/b6 but wants a nicelly mostly fabbed manifold. i have had the b6 fms manifold on my b3 for about 4 years.
    Tim
    '97 Aspire ST, UltraViolet Blue, 37k miles - New Storage Queen
    '03 SVT Lightning, Dark Shadow Gray, 30k miles - Storage Queen 11 months/year
    '95 SVT Aspire B3T, Green Mica, 75k miles - DD
    '01 ZX-500R, Violet Pearl/Gray, 5400 miles - Storage Queen
    '89 Suzuki FA50 Bright Red - Lake Transportation

Cardomain.com/id/aspiresvt

Previous Vehicles
    '92 Festiva L "Sport" Green Mica
    '92 Festiva GL Blue Pearl
    '92 Capri XR2 Performance Red

Heeey....I was just looking at that! I've been thinking about using the turbo from my B6T on one of my B3s. I kinda put my B6T exhaust manifold near the B3 in my car and it looks like a considerable difference. I'm gonna be bringing out one of my B3s today to check it out and start this planning process though. I'll give you some measurements in a few hours or so.

Comment

Okay, sorry bout bein later than I said I'd be. So, the ports are different shapes, the B3 being round, while the B6T ports are oblong. All measurements are approximate. The B3 ports are about 1 3/32" in diameter, while the B6T are 1 1/32" tall and 1 3/4" wide. Spacing between ports on the B3 is 2 5/16" between cylinders 1 and 2, and between 3 and 4, and 1 5/32" between 2 and 3. The B6T ports are all evenly spaced with 1 5/8" between each port. This gives an overall width (from the far side of each end exhaust port) of 11 1/8" on the B3, and 11 7/8" on the B6T.

All in all I can't see that working out, so I doubt those measurements were really necessary, but there they are anyways...heheh

Comment

Do this. It is alot easier than fitting it under the hood.

-Greg
        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
        Redneck Engineer
        FOTY - '09
        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Didnt think it was possible but you never know for sure until its asked and then answered. thank you much for checking. im going to relocate the inlet for the water pump since my vehicle does not have air and utilize the stock manifold for placement of my vj14.
          Last edited by Aspire SVT; 07-17-2009, 07:57 AM.
          Tim
          '97 Aspire ST, UltraViolet Blue, 37k miles - New Storage Queen
          '03 SVT Lightning, Dark Shadow Gray, 30k miles - Storage Queen 11 months/year
          '95 SVT Aspire B3T, Green Mica, 75k miles - DD
          '01 ZX-500R, Violet Pearl/Gray, 5400 miles - Storage Queen
          '89 Suzuki FA50 Bright Red - Lake Transportation

Cardomain.com/id/aspiresvt

Previous Vehicles
          '92 Festiva L "Sport" Green Mica
          '92 Festiva GL Blue Pearl
          '92 Capri XR2 Performance Red

Comment

eurotiva, i love how your wastegate just dumps to the open air

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
            1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

What does that thing sound like?
              97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
              CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
              Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

A ford festiva with a turbocharger hanging off the back running a less than impressive time at Orlando Speedworld.

i love the sound of it... that turbo sounds amazing and i love how you can see when the turbo kicks in and the rear just goes right done to the ground... that looks like one fun ride...
                Last edited by sasquatch; 07-20-2009, 04:26 PM.

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

b3/b6

I just put a b6 into my 91 5spd festiva with ac. The post that the ports are different is correct. Round (b3) vs oblong (b6). I used the b3 intake and exhaust and original F/I rail. Intake water ports do not line up on intake side. Had to make an adapter plate of 3/8" aluminum. Am using b3 exhaust and ported it out somewhat. The exhaust two top outmost bolts do NOT match the b6 head. But port hole do match if ported out a little. Also if you put a b6 into the festiva and have AC you will have an issue with the pulley on the crank. The b3 is two pulleys and the b6 has a harmonic balancer and pulley combo that needs to be modified and used with a motified lower pulley from the b3. The center hole on the b3 crank is 1 1/4" while the hole on the b6 crank is 1 1/2". And the 4 bolts holding it on have a different bolt pattern. I did modify it to work. I cut the outer pulley off the b6 harmonic balancer and ground it smooth on front side, then used the outer pulley from the b3. The SPACE is then used between the modifed b3 outer pulley and the harmonic balancer from the b6, to place the ac belt. It lined up perfectly. Again, on the space between the harmonic balancer and the b3 outer (lower original modified) pulley..You will also find that the b3 valve cover is different than the b6 and has to be modified (hole drilling) to install throttle cable bracket.

Not sure if this is a good place to post this, but it was a project I wanted to try and leave some feed back.. It is running fine except for some hesitation in each gear. And is certainly faster. Next, looking foward to installing the b6 exhaust manifold when funds are available.

Comment

^^ Good to have some details about the differences. The comparison I made was between the SOHC B3 and DOHC B6T. I believe a different thread would have been better, but thanks for sharing.

Comment

The amount of fabbing need to change a readymade b6t manifold to fit the b3 is so extensive, and would be so cobbled, you actually be better off just fabbing a clean log manifold from scratch.
                      97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                      CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                      Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by bogeybob View Post
                        I just put a b6 into my 91 5spd festiva with ac. The post that the ports are different is correct. Round (b3) vs oblong (b6). I used the b3 intake and exhaust and original F/I rail. Intake water ports do not line up on intake side. Had to make an adapter plate of 3/8" aluminum. Am using b3 exhaust and ported it out somewhat. The exhaust two top outmost bolts do NOT match the b6 head. But port hole do match if ported out a little. Also if you put a b6 into the festiva and have AC you will have an issue with the pulley on the crank. The b3 is two pulleys and the b6 has a harmonic balancer and pulley combo that needs to be modified and used with a motified lower pulley from the b3. The center hole on the b3 crank is 1 1/4" while the hole on the b6 crank is 1 1/2". And the 4 bolts holding it on have a different bolt pattern. I did modify it to work. I cut the outer pulley off the b6 harmonic balancer and ground it smooth on front side, then used the outer pulley from the b3. The SPACE is then used between the modifed b3 outer pulley and the harmonic balancer from the b6, to place the ac belt. It lined up perfectly. Again, on the space between the harmonic balancer and the b3 outer (lower original modified) pulley..You will also find that the b3 valve cover is different than the b6 and has to be modified (hole drilling) to install throttle cable bracket.

Not sure if this is a good place to post this, but it was a project I wanted to try and leave some feed back.. It is running fine except for some hesitation in each gear. And is certainly faster. Next, looking foward to installing the b6 exhaust manifold when funds are available.
                        What year is your B6 from? Is it the second generation B6 or the first?
                        The Festiva Store
                        Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Originally posted by iceracerdude View Post
                          The amount of fabbing need to change a readymade b6t manifold to fit the b3 is so extensive, and would be so cobbled, you actually be better off just fabbing a clean log manifold from scratch.
                          Agreed

Comment

Working...
                          X