B3 turbo fitting. snapped turbo shaft near turbine wheel. New turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B3 turbo fitting. snapped turbo shaft near turbine wheel. New turbo

I have a b3 engine fuel injection in a 1995 Kia pride and I fitted a turbo. After a few days the turbo shaft snapped in two. What caused the shaft to break? I noticed that the dump valve was not working correctly. Could it be because a faulty dump valve?

Thanks
    :festiva: 1995 Kia Pride, 1.3 EFI, manual. :fred:

What turbo? Was it a Chinese knock off? Was the waste gate binding on anything causing it to not open? Did you test your oil line flow and return into the oil pan? Does it have water cooling? Do you have pictures of your set-up as it was installed?
    The waste gate NOT opening can cause overboosting, sticking open, will keep it from boosting. Neither of those situations will break that shaft. Lack of fresh oil will, meaning not enough or a bad drain back situation. Not having seen your exhaust manifold, makes me wonder if a piece of slag from the welding/manufacturing process broke off from inside the manifold and went into the turbine. Pictures!
    Last edited by iceracerdude; 08-01-2009, 07:37 AM.
    97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
    CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
    Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

sounds like a lack of oil to me. if one bearing ceases the shaft can and will break i have seen it first hand on a vj14. it froze up and we had to drive to work on the way home i told my bro to floor it and break it loose and it did literally the exhaust side just fell out and pumped oil into the exhaust ..smokescreen.. anyway the problem was that the turbo had excessive in and out and it was a pile.. had been making a screeming noise for a few days. the compressor wheel was rubbing the housing.
      YOU WILL HEINZ 57!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X