4spd to 5spd swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4spd to 5spd swap

What kind of trouble would come with switching out my 4spd trans. for a 5spd? I am assuming that it is just bolt on, but I am not sure if the linkage will have to be swapped as well. Also, are the CV axles the same from the 4spd to the 5spd? I just replaced them, and I don't want to have to buy another set at over $100. Any help is appreciated.
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Everything is the same except the extra gear...
    It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

So no linkage swapping, or anything, just remove the old and bolt in the new? Is the trans. fluid the same amount from the 4spd to the 5spd? I just changed the fluid and put about 2.5-3 quarts in it. Is it more with the extra gear? Thanks for the response.
      The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:

Comment

Out with the old and in with the new. You got it! Fluids are the same too!

Comment

Thanks a lot. I think I may have to head over to Tony Cash for a good 5spd. Does anyone know if he has any good ones? I mean, if the cars are not drivable, is there any way to tell really?

My Fleet:

Comment

Is anyone coming through indiana to head over to Cash's? I can split fuel costs with you if so. I will be getting at least a trans. but maybe a fuel injected engine as well, so you will need to bring a truck depending on what you are getting. If you are headed that way, pm me, and I can get you some directions.

My Fleet:

Comment

Doylerl,
              If it wasn't for the fact that we have to have them gone by this Sunday I could help you.
              I drive back and forth from Ohio to the mid west more than I'd like.
              But, I'm not going to be able to get back in time.
              So I'm going to miss out on at least one tranny and a set of pedals for an ATX to manual conversion.
              Would have liked a spare, but time isn't available.
              Maybe you can hit Tony up for some more time, it worth a shot!
              The festiva can easily accommodate an engine and tranny in the back with the seat removed, done it multiple times.
              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
              Your holy ghost will not save you.
              Your God plutonium will not save you.
              In fact...
              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                Doylerl,
                The festiva can easily accommodate an engine and tranny in the back with the seat removed, done it multiple times.
                No... It can easily accommodate 2 engines and 3 transmission,:p with out being stacked on top of each other. That is the most I have ever carried in a festiva, but I am sure it could carry more.

Had to give you a hard time about that one.
                The Festiva Store
                Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Working...
                X