Air filter tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air filter tests

Just ran across a real good air filter test on Bob The Oil Guy's website. He tested both flow and filtration of K&N, Amsoil & Jackson Racing foam filters and several brands of paper filters. The results were pretty interesting. This is also a great website for oil & grease questions. (I hope I can get the link to work)

Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Hey, looks pretty interesting... I think I still perfer my K&N cone filter over the standard drop in filter any day

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month
    -1993 festiva stock standard blue, kia rio front struts

Comment

Reading his writeup confirms for me that there is little if any improvement for a low-HP motor when using any kind of aftermarket filter. The stock paper Wix, Fram, etc. is adequate; I doubt if we could tell any difference using the K&N drop-in. Of more use is to open up the bottom of the airbox to get around the restrictive factory design, which is intended to minimize noise. The larger-area filters like the cone type effectively are like opening up the bottom of the airbox, but no more. The limit is how much air a specific motor can suck in, given little to no restriction at the airbox. Cone filters on non-race cars are mainly cosmetic, which is fine too, as long as you understand that.
      Last edited by TominMO; 11-19-2009, 01:20 AM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I wish he would of done the HKS Super Mega airflow, or as the Supra guys call it the "Super Mega Dirt Flow", apparently it doesn't really filter well, lol.
        Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
        1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
        2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
        2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
          Reading his writeup confirms for me that there is little if any improvement for a low-HP motor when using any kind of aftermarket filter. The stock paper Wix, Fram, etc. is adequate;
          Bingo!. Everything is relevant. The K&N does indeed flow better than a stock paper filter and will increase HP (note how he said is secondary test filter killed his performance on his Miata). But, the gain is proportional to the total airflow (result of HP) and dependent on the requirements. I can probably FART more air than a B3 requires at 5000 RPM!
          The same principal holds true for cam swaps, throttle bodies, exhaust, etc.. It's all about the system as a total and limiting factors. Upgrading from a 65mm to a 75mm throttle body on a stock 260HP 4.6L gains nothing. Add cams, headers, flowed heads, 90MM MAF and spin it @ 6000RPM and the 65MM throttle body is a restriction. The the upgrade to 75mm is then worth 10-20 HP. Using pressure differential is a very effective way to test restriction. The gains from a K&N should be more prevalent on a BP, or even a B3 with a cam, header and larger throttle body and VAF meter. I would agree that the best mod would be to the air box inlet. Get as much COLD air to it as possible since denser air will make more HP at any given airflow.

I do like the re-usabe aspect of the K&N and the free window decal is cool, but is the reduced filtration worth it? Plus, I can buy a lot of paper filters for $48.00!
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
            1. I can probably FART more air than a B3 requires at 5000 RPM!
            2. I do like the re-usable aspect of the K&N and the free window decal is cool, but is the reduced filtration worth it? Plus, I can buy a lot of paper filters for $48.00!
            1. Try Bean-o for your problem.
            2. Yup.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

1. Try Bean-o for your problem.
              I don't know about MO, but here in Nebraska it's not considered a problem.....actually more of an attribute. I was more bragging than complaining. LOL I wonder if K&N makes underwear?
              Brian

Comment

I don't know about MO, but here in Nebraska it's not considered a problem.....actually more of an attribute. I was more bragging than complaining. LOL I wonder if K&N makes underwear?
                If they do, it probably doesn't filter out smells.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

If they do, it probably doesn't filter out smells.
                  But that's the best part.......All they need to do is filter out the particulates.

(I think this thread has taken a wrong turn!) LOL
                  Brian

Comment

Both of you are sick! :p
                    Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                    '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                    '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Originally posted by FestivaFan View Post
                      Both of you are sick! :p
                      We know.... ....deal with it! :p
                      Last edited by TominMO; 11-20-2009, 12:05 AM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

A lot of the smell problem can be solved by having a catalytic converter installed in your "exhaust" The only problem I see is lighting it off. If you do decide to go this route, please do a write up, complete with pics and video.
                        Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                        '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                        '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

A lot of the smell problem can be solved by having a catalytic converter installed in your "exhaust" The only problem I see is lighting it off. If you do decide to go this route, please do a write up, complete with pics and video.
                          This has been tried several times by the federal government. The written reports, including pictures, audio and video, are classified. The main issue seems to be sufficient insulation or clearance gap of the catalytic converter from the scrotal sac. Lack of either of these causes extreme discomfort. Allegedly. Don't ask me how I know....

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I'm hoping this procedure will be covered under Obama's health Care plan. I did have a prostrate exam a few years ago..................it may have only been a finger, but it sure felt like a catalytic converter.
                            Brian

Comment

I'm hoping this procedure will be covered under Obama's health Care plan. I did have a prostrate exam a few years ago..................it may have only been a finger, but it sure felt like a catalytic converter.
                              He only had one hand on your shoulder, right?

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                              X