transmission fits or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission fits or not

Here is a quote from this thread: http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11540

90-94 323 have an inboard spline count of 24 with an outboard spline of 26. Lengths are 24 1/2" and 35 9/16", left and right respectively.

NA Capri and 86-89 323 has inboard spline count of 24 and an outboard spline count of 24. Lengths are 24" and 35", left and right respectively.

My question is this:
    Will a 90-94 engine/transaxle fit into a 86-89 car?
    (Notice the axle lengths)

oh this mechanical stuff is confusing

Originally posted by grey View Post
    My question is this:
    Will a 90-94 engine/transaxle fit into a 86-89 car?
    (Notice the axle lengths)
    Yes, the engine/transaxle will fit but the axles won't. You can use the engine and tranny from the 90-94 mazda 323, but you will need to use the axles from the 1986-89 mazda 323.
    The Festiva Store
    Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

[QUOTE=nonamekid;279996 you will need to use the axles from the 1986-89 mazda 323.[/QUOTE]

Thank you

the fraction of an inch length will not matter? There is some play there, but I assume the circlip must be in the right location...or some othe important thing?

or maybe the sticky poster was in a hurry and left off the fractions
      Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by grey View Post
        Thank you

the fraction of an inch length will not matter? There is some play there, but I assume the circlip must be in the right location...or some othe important thing?

or maybe the sticky poster was in a hurry and left off the fractions
        Thank you.

Those are exact numbers and not rounded. They may look weird, but that's what they are. Total the distance is 1 1/16" longer, which there will be no way to get them to fit. The mazda 323 received a new chassis in 1990 and it became wider, needing longer axles. It also received new hubs, which changed the spline count, meaning if you did want to use the different axles, you would also have to change out your hubs to match.
        The Festiva Store

Comment

well, I have a complete 88 car - minus a straight head. I can get a 90 engine/transaxle for LESS money than a used head (junkers think they see a sucker, I guess. No love at the junkyard).

There is some difference between 89 and 90 as far as the engine is concerned. I dont know what that difference is exactly. I dont think the heads change even though they both are SOHC 8 valve. Now am afraid my 88 4-speed will not bolt to the 90 engine.

Comment

The 88 transmission will bolt to the 90 engine. There are differences in the heads, intakes, and exhaust, but it is not too much. The best place for answers to what you are proposing would be the 323 forum.
            The Festiva Store

Comment

Yes I have been to all the Mazda forums I can find ( and there are way too many)

I learn more here. This site is much better.

Comment

Working...
              X