Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making your own Dual-Diaphragm Pressure plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making your own Dual-Diaphragm Pressure plate?

Hey Guys,

Anyone ever heard of people doing this? I know the higher-end clutch kits that cost a ton of money usually have them, but if I remember correctly the diaphragms are only held on by rivets right? It shouldn't be hard to drill those out, add another stock diaphragm, and up the clamping force. From what I've seen (especially on the Swift GTs) the main problem when having the clutch slip is the clamping force from the pressure plate being too low for the horsepower application, and not the actual clutch disc.

Any ideas? Maybe old-school tricks from the veterans out here?
    Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
    1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
    2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
    2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Someone modified a stock pressure plate and was able to increase the clamping force. It might have been on the old forum, but I do remember seeing it done. I think they used two stock pressure plates to do it.
    The Festiva Store
    Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

I figured it wouldn't be too hard to do. I was never on the old forum so I never saw anything from there.
      Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"

Comment

Here is one of the threads on the subject:

Discuss making performance enhancements to the OEM-spec engine in your Festiva or Aspire.

Here is the thread on the old forum

Check this out guys: A while back, I noticed that the Clutchnet Pressure plate was basically just a stock plate withe a second diaphram spring added.
        Last edited by nonamekid; 11-18-2009, 04:24 PM.
        The Festiva Store

Comment

Sweet!

I wonder if he really had to remove the material on the back of the clamping plate though? That seems unnecessary, although i don't have everything sitting in front of me to see it. I might go this way actually, a pair of stock B6T pressure plates should be easy enough to find.
          Current cars:

Comment

Knowing Stevo, if he said it would be best to remove the material, I would take his advice. Wish he was still around, he knew alot and was great about coming up with ideas that worked.
            The Festiva Store

Comment

Working...
            X