Remote mount turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote mount turbo

If there are any members with a Focus, you know about this already. There is a turbo set up out there that is "remote mount". Instead of mounting to the exhaust manifold, it is mounted down stream to the exhaust system. In the case of the Aerodyne Aerocharger, a custom flex pipe mounts the turbo and a custom plenum is used to attach to the MAF inside the engine compartment. The air filter is also plumbed into the engine compartment. Unfortunately I can't find a pic of the system as Aerodyne stopped making turbo kits a while back.
    There are distinct advantages to this basic design. Space for the turbo is not really an issue anymore. Under hood heat isn't an issue either. Yes, custom plumbing for the piping is necessary. And turbo oiling will require a pump. But none of this is uncommon. One thing that does concern me is if the turbo sits behind the catalytic convertor,if it should fail and become brittle, say by to the turbo.
    If one was to find an aerocharger turbo...there's kits for harleys and snowmobiles, one could benefit from the self oiling feature of the turbo. There's no oil line plumbing. The unit is self oiling, and only requires periodic topping off through a small diameter tube attached to the turbo. The turbos have proved to be very reliable. As well they are a ball bearing equipped variable nozzle turbo. Boost comes on pretty quick with this design.
    I recently read an article about a remote mount set up on Camaro F-body's. The turbo was actually mounted behing the rear end housing.
    Seems like a long way away from the engine, but less that 1 psi loss was measured. As well, due to the lenght of the piping, an intercooler was not used due to the intake temp cooling off along the way to the engine compartment.
    I think this is a potential alternative to finding/purchasing a BPT.
    Turboing the B3 or B6 may be easier than the normal route.
    Now, I am a big fan of the Festiva. I had a blast driving the wheels off an 89 manual back in 89 for work. Since then In have always wanted to have one, but circumstances have prevented me from doing so. Well,
    I still have the dream,and somewhow I will make it come true before it's too late. So right now, I don't own one, and I cannot determine the feasibility of the remote set up. Maybe one of you guys can take a look at the plumbing potential. Toss the idea around. If I get lucky, maybe someone will have done this by the time I get my Festiva.
    Thoughts?
    Here's a link to the F-body kit:
    good info for ideas.http://www.ststurbo.com/remote_mounting :idea:

i just don't see the point in using a remote mount turbo on the festiva. even with the bp swapped in there is room for the turbo, so it just seems like it would be more work than it was worth imho.
    Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
    1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
    1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
    2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

Working...
    X