No announcement yet.

Festiva manual to Auto Aspire (sort of)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva manual to Auto Aspire (sort of)

Hi All. First Post. I signed up here because I have the chance of a good deal on a locally assembled Type 2 (curvy) 1999 Ford Festiva.

I believe this is basically the same vehicle that was sold in the US up to 1997 as the Ford Aspire.

The problem is that I don't like automatics, (I'm British, we generally don't) and I believe the Type 2 Festiva (= Aspire) was not available here in Taiwan with a manual transmission.

The earlier Type 1 (boxy) Festiva (= Festiva) was sold with a manual transmission option here, and it should be possible to find one in a scrapyard.

My question is, assuming the Taiwan models are the same (which I don't expect anyone to be able to confirm, though that'd be nice), can the manual Festiva trans be swapped into an auto Aspire?

If it can, how difficult is it, and is there any custom fabrication required?

I've had a look around the threads and it looks to me as if it should be possible, but I'm new to these vehicles so I thought I'd try and get confirmation.

I like the vibe on this site. Lots of skill, knowledge and info apparent, which encourages me to try and get one of these cars.

this should help you in your quest:

also go to your "User CP" and then go to "edit your details" and add your location please

if any one is near you they may be available to help if needed

and welcome to the site!
    Last edited by MTec007; 03-25-2010, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Thanks, I've added my location.

I saw that thread. Lots of very good detailed information, but if it answers my specific inter-model compatability question I didn't see it.

Comment

im not exactly a good source to answer that kinda procedure, i haven't looked into doing it and i don't have the slightest clue as to what will work and what it will take. but i'm sure someone on here can help you out.

Comment

If your cars are anything like ours (and I can't imagine they would be that different) the manual trans should bolt right up.
          Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
          '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
          '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Assuming the car you have is an Aspire, the answer to your question is yes.

The transmission from the Type 1 will bolt directly up, although you will have to use the Type 2's transmission mount on the Type 1 transmission. This is assuming the auto + manual Type 2's used the same transmission mount, otherwise you may need to buy a manual mount from overseas.

The final drive is geared for the lighter Type 1 car, so acceleration on your heavier Type 2 may be a little sluggish. I doubt that would be a major problem, though.

And if you need a specific part for the manual conversion that can't be found in Taiwan, I'm sure someone here would be glad to mail it to you.

Good luck.

-Tim
            White '89L auto - Sold!
            Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Thanks for the confirmations everybody, much appreciated.

However, my latest info is that such a swap would be illegal in Taiwan, since the transmission type is recorded on the registration document.

I knew this applied to engine swaps, but didn't think of the implications for transmission.

Taiwan regulations are designed to ensure that no one responsible for their enforcement ever has to think, so no mods allowed. Am I sounding pissed off?

Word on the street is that with older vehicles they don't care so much and you can "probably" get away with it, but I dunno if its worth the risk.

I think I'll either have to live with an auto, or find an intact Type 1 MANUAL Festiva.

Comment

Working...
              X