hydro to cable option 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hydro to cable option 2

seeing the need for a solution to this common problem, i have devised an alternative remedy.

1. i made a bracket that bolts to side of transmission, using the same holes as Chris's adapters. to make this i used two pieces of scrap angle iron. one 4" or so piece of 3x3 1/4 and one 2" or so piece of 2x2 1/4. i used cardboard to make a template to get the contour of the bolt holes and transmission.

2. using a cutoff wheel i removed the retainer from the stock clutch cable. keeping the pivot/ loop thing that attaches to the top end of the clutch pedal.

3. sourcing a parking brake cable for an 85 and up suburban, i had to shorten both pieces of the cable. inner cable and the outer casingh

4. after shorting the cable i used a cable lock or something i found at the hardware store to attach the stock cable end to the parking brake cable. it is a crimp style and i think it will hold.

5. i re-installed new cable using the stock clutch cable's grommet through the firewall.

6. after the intitial test, i found that the stock clutch pedal assembly was cheesy and bent on the first or second try. i had to remove it and weld in some bracing. again using small pieces from my scrap pile.

after some adjusting and a little re-engineering of the pedal assembly i got it to work pretty good.

the clutch pedal is a little stiff, but not nearly as stiff as the hydrolic system i built on my bp swap car.

i think it will be fine for the street. the car is a b6-me with f series trans. below are the best pictures i could take with the new cable installed in the car already and one of the template i made.

5. after

enjoy
    Neil

Jesus loves me. This I know.

93 L track prep in progress
    88? Parts car-sold
    91 L B6-me f25mr-soon to be ???
    86 b2000- pisses of HOA-sold
    1997 k1500 suburban- kid hauler/GAS hog

that looks great, and it looks like it's going to work well! Good job.

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month
    -1993 festiva stock standard blue, kia rio front struts

Comment

Thanks
      Neil

88? Parts car-sold

Comment

That is a neat design as well!! Nice job!! :thumbright:

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Well the hardware store cable lock didn't hold. Any body got any suggestions?
          Neil

88? Parts car-sold

Comment

Put another end on the cable, then made a ball on the end with the welder. Will keep updated with results.
            Neil

88? Parts car-sold

Comment

I hope this works out for you!

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Working...
              X