Aspire cone filter conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire cone filter conversion

I'm planning on tackling this project this weekend. I figured I could convert to the cone for the same amount of work versus modifying the stock box for a k&n. I've ordered a k&n rd-700, 2.5 mounting flange for the maf connection, 4 inches tall and 3.5 wide. Should fit perfectly in that area. For the egr connection to the air box i'm going to epoxy a vacuum connection in the top of the k&n - would like to attach it to the main air intake but I don't know what that might effect. There's a spare vacuum connection on the intake manifold I may try that first. I'm going to put the iat in the main air intake, I might epoxy it if I can't find a good sealer. I'm hoping the wires will stretch some. The filter is a bit small but in my mind the surface area should be comparable, but the k&n should flow better so that shouldn't be factor. Is there anything i'm overlooking?
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

?????

I'm not quite sure what you're planning is accurate. EGR connection at the air box? EGR is accomplished between one exhaust port and the intake manifold, behind the throttle plate, so its exposed to vacuum. Perhaps you mean a PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) air supply tube?. If so, that needs to be ahead of the throttle plate, exposed to atmospheric pressure, not manifold vacuum. And be cautious of ANY chemical you expose the MAF to. Most chemical vapors will foul it, making it unusable. Be sure to only use sealers marked SENSOR SAFE, unless you like to buy MAF sensors repeatedly.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

According to the vacuum diagrams on the autozone website that hose leads to the egr vent solenoid that is attached to both the egr valve position sensor and the egr control solenoid (that soleniod attached to the intake manifold) . Talk about confusing... I think the festiva's is similiar only in a prettier package. Didn't think about the chemicals and the maf.. thanks for that tip. Epoxy must be sensor safe since alot of people use it when modifying intakes. Probably just use that when relocating the iat, at least it won't go anywhere.
      91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

AutoZone vacuum diagrams? Not sure how much I'd trust those.... Typically, on Festys and Assfires, the egr vent valve doesn't have a hose from it to the inlet. It has a filter/cap on the vent port. The only fitting on the inlet should be the supply tube to the pcv system...
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

It isn't the egr valve per se that's attached to the box but a component of the egr valve. I wonder if this pic will work.

91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

The inlet for the pcv is next to the outlet for the ISC which is way upstream. The hose i'm referring to the is one connected to the airbox itself. Hope that pic helps some.
            91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

intake

Is the intake from a stock carbureted Festiva engine interchangeable with a fuel-injected Festiva? More specifically, are the heads the same?

I was just given a replacement motor/transmission, and I want to know if I can simply swap my fuel-injection setup onto the new motor and put it in my Festiva.

thanks
              "Bistromathics"

Comment

I never did do this well mainly because O'Reillys sent the blasted filter back after 2-3 days, I was on vacation at the time plus had no money. Did some investigating though and the 95-98? 1.5L used a similiar air box setup, same MAF but don't know about the IAT sensor. K&N makes a drop-in filter for the protege 1.5L. I wonder how the protege air box would fit in the aspire? I'd expirement with it if this blasted picknpull would ever get one in stock!! I would also like a instrument cluster from one as well, of course it won't happen as long as I need one.
                91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Working...
                X