Speedo cable question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo cable question

Another gauge-related question: Is the speedo cable interchangeable with the standard old-school ford cables?
    And if not, has there ever been a Mazda F or G series tranny with a hall effect speed sensor?
    I need to know if I can use an aftermarket cable-to-electronic speed sender or swap the speedo gears with a hall effect unit in the tranny, to run my electronic speedo. If the answer to both is no, I'm sure I can mess with the cable to make it work with the aftermarket unit.
    (This is the sender I'm talking about)

I would assume that the mazda one will be what you need, more than Ford, since its a mazda transmission.
    89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
    94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
    2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
    1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

I've been searching for a couple months and it doesn't appear as though anyone out there is making a mazda one.

Comment

I pulled my cluster out last night and the speedo end of the cable looks just like the standard ford stuff- square cable end and a clip-on socket. (surprisingly enough). I'll be going to the boneyard today to confirm this.

Comment

So the OEM cable basically has a Mazda end (trans side) and a ford end (cluster)
          Festiva cable at the JY fit onto a mustang cluster, and I didn't realize the autometer units could only be used without a cable, bolted right onto the tranny.

Bought the ford sender, didn't work. Exchanged it for the GM sender and it fits like a glove onto the b3 tranny. All I have to do is cut the cable, drill the cable end out the Mazda key, fit it over the autometer key and tack weld. I'll be doing that this week and taking pictures.

Easier than it could have been for sure.

Comment

Working...
          X