Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting 1993 automatic festiva to a manual.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting 1993 automatic festiva to a manual.

How complicated is it to convert my festiva from automatic to manual, and what parts will i need, i know i need, manual tranny, shift linkage, clutch pedal and linkage, and a instrument cluster w/ an RPM gage, and I'm pretty sure i will need to manual half-shafts too. is that all i need?
    blue flake 89L shaved hatch, Lowered, BP swap in progress, bobtail bumper, 5spd tranny, acura 5 spoke 15" wheels and fiberglass dash

Festiva halfshafts between manual and auto are indeed different.

I think the tranny mounts may also be different, so grab the MTX mounts with the tranny.

You'll need to plug your ATX coolant pipes (2) on the bottom of the radiator. If you want lighter weight, you could get a single core radiator, which came with the MTX Festivas.

That's all I can think of but I'm no expert. If no one else chimes in, go over several procedures in your factory shop manual, including removal and installation of both types of transaxles. You may find something else in there to attend to.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Flywheel and clutch from a manual car and a clutch cable. It sounds like you knew that already, but just in case somebody else was reading this and wondering the same thing.
      The Festiva Store
      Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Yep, you'll be replacing the "driveplate" or "flexplate" as it's also called. That's mounted to your engine's driveshaft on the backside where it hooks up to the tranny.

In case you haven't done this, to separate your engine from your ATX, after you've pulled both as a unit from the car, take off the thin bottom shield to undo the torque converter bolts from your flexplate before sliding the two assemblies apart. (I didn't know this, which is why I'm telling you.)

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
        X