Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the pilot bearing suppose to have a little play between it and the flywheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the pilot bearing suppose to have a little play between it and the flywheel?

I've ordered two, and they both do the same thing: They don't fit exactly in, they have like 1mm of play in it. Brand new flywheel. is it suppose to do this? I cant see it being right.
    Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
    1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
    2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
    2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

I had to tap mine in with a hammer into the flywheel.
    89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
    94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
    2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
    1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

pilot bearing should be a light press-fit into the flywheel. Sounds like the flywheel was mis-machined. Try the new bearing in an old flywheel.;
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Umm, dont have access to an old flywheel. I got this one from Autozone and had to trade in my old one. No, I CANT afford another one.

The Crank is the same size hole of the flywheel though?
        Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"

Comment

Well the only answer then is that the bushing is the wrong one. Like FB71 and Nerd Racing said, it's supposed to be press-fit; I.E. you have to put it square on the hole and tap it in with either a special tool or a socket of the same size. If your bushing isn't exatly aligned in the flywheel, the transmission's imput shaft won't line up properly.
          The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisofna View Post
            Umm, dont have access to an old flywheel. I got this one from Autozone and had to trade in my old one.
            Take the flywheel and the bearing back to Autozone and show them how it fits. If your estimate of 1mm is correct, the pilot bearing should fall through the hole in the flywheel. Unless the Autozone guys are total morons, they should realize that's not right. Tell them you want a flywheel that fits the bearing. Since they took your old flywheel, I'm guessing you didn't really get a new flywheel but rather a resurfaced one. The one they sold you probably had the bearing seize up and spin inside the flywheel thus wearing the hole bigger and the machine shop that did the work never checked the center hole size.
            You gonna race that thing?
            http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

i got the flywheel a year ago and never checked it because, well, I never had a clutch kit to check it with. Seems like im kinda boned here. Well this sucks, seems it'll be a while till I have a running car again, I was so close too.
              Current cars:

Comment

I would still take the flywheel and bearing in to Autozone and explain the situation. If they agree that there is something wrong with the flywheel, they may replace it even though it's been a long time (just to keep good customer relations). The worst that can happen is they say they won't do anything.......the best, they give you another flywheel.
                Youve' got nothing to lose and everything to gain.
                I have a long relationship with my local NAPA dealer and if I had your exact situation, I am 100% sure they would give me another flywheel if it was defective.
                You gonna race that thing?
                http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

I did, I got my money back. Just sucks though I don't have a flywheel now.
                  Current cars:

Comment

Working...
                  X