No announcement yet.

half shaft piece stuck in the tranny!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• half shaft piece stuck in the tranny!!

So I've got the donor engine pulled and everything and I've got it all ready to drop in except I have one problem. I got the passenger side one out with no problems. And actually I had this similar problem when taking the half shafts out of the original engine too. Although I was finally able to get the drivers side half shaft out in the original engine (so I have a good set no worries), I can't get the one out of the donor engine. A pry bar worked on the original engine, but it doesn't seem to be good enough on this one. I even kicked the pry bar, unfortunaly it just turned the engine. I pulled on it so hard it pulled 2/3rds of the damn shaft off. Now I just have the small engine boot piece left. Has anybody else had this problem and how did u get it. Also I read in the manual if u pull the thing out too fast it will break some tranny fluid seal collar or something. Isn't that the metal ring on the end of the shaft, so since I have a good shaft I don't need to worry about it, right?
    1997 Ford Aspire, MTX, Teal, B3E - "Trusty"
    1997 Ford Aspire, MTX, Red, B3E - "Eggy" (RIP)
    1989 Ford Festiva LX, ATX, Maroon, B3E - "TBK" (RIP)
    1991 Ford Festiva GL, ATX, Red, B3E - "Festiva GT" (RIP)

I've had to drive one out from the other side (around the diff pin) with a super long screwdriver.
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I had the same thing happen to me about a year ago and ended up in a "worst case scenario" situation. The shaft would not come out no matte what we tried, even took the transmission with stuck shaft to a trusted mechanic and they couldn't get it out. Ended up breaking, let me rephrase that... smashing the transmission case to get the shaft out. Replaced the transmission and the shaft. I know that's not very encouraging but it does happen.

Once I did get things apart I discovered that the snap ring on the inside end of the shaft had sprung too wide and simply would not compress back into the groove to allow it to come out of the transmission. You could see impressions of the transmision splines in the snap ring! Needless to say I wasn't impressed as a one afternoon job turned into a few days with all the running around to pull a transmission at the wrecker etc.

Other's have had much better luck with reluctant axles using slide hammers, chains and other "weapons". I hope that you have better luck than I did.
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Ughh this sounds yucky, well the tranny from the old engine is ok, it sat out during one rain but it should be alright, I hope I don't have to use it tho

Comment

Hey super thanks eurotiva ur long screw drive had it out in 2 min (plus 5 min to find my screwdriver in my messy driveway lol) thanks 10 million

Comment

try the screwdriver - hopefully its not like one I encountered where the shaft was gaulded in on the right side - needless to say the trans became a anchor.

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
            92 GL - parts car
            97 aspire - parts car
            87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
            http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
            Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
              I had the same thing happen to me about a year ago and ended up in a "worst case scenario" situation. The shaft would not come out no matte what we tried, even took the transmission with stuck shaft to a trusted mechanic and they couldn't get it out. Ended up breaking, let me rephrase that... smashing the transmission case to get the shaft out. Replaced the transmission and the shaft. I know that's not very encouraging but it does happen.

Once I did get things apart I discovered that the snap ring on the inside end of the shaft had sprung too wide and simply would not compress back into the groove to allow it to come out of the transmission. You could see impressions of the transmision splines in the snap ring! Needless to say I wasn't impressed as a one afternoon job turned into a few days with all the running around to pull a transmission at the wrecker etc.

Other's have had much better luck with reluctant axles using slide hammers, chains and other "weapons". I hope that you have better luck than I did.
              same exact thing happened to me too. except i smashed the transmission myself. even the ring on mine had impressions of the splines in it too!

Comment

Working...
              X