Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSD Ignition setup for B6 thoughts and guesses...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSD Ignition setup for B6 thoughts and guesses...

I've been looking at the MSD & Summit Racing sites to see about estimating a cost for a better ignition setup.

So far the "Sport/Compact Ignition" PN6300 should run around $200.

A universal fit Blaster coil PN8200 (couldn't find recommended PN8207) will be about $45.

The MSD igntion will have the added benefit of providing a convenient cutoff switch for theft deterrence and, I think, a rev limiter.

Is there any way to find out what this combo will do before I actually buy and install it, or is it simply "experimentation time?"

The coil alone may help, I suppose. It would be cheaper.

If I got the "whole thang" I'd expect a bit more than just "smoother running" and reduced emissions for my ~$250. I'd want some measurable hp and torque increases. Around 3-4 hp minimum, especially if it gave me more low end oomph. However, I think most benefits are in the higher rpm ranges.

If I want "more torque right now" I'll have to get that supercharger or at least some nitrous.

Would the MSD coil help a stock Festiva ignition with the B6 modded with improved breathing? In other words, is the stock Festiva coil "a bit weak?"

(A long time ago I read that the '81 Civics were definitely improved with an aftermarket coil because their stock one was weak.)

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

I just found this at the 323 forum:

Slayer wrote:

First you need to select what ignition box you want. The B6 has a distributor so you need to make sure that you get one that is NOT for distributorless ignitions. Boxes for distributorless ignitions usually include DIS in the model number. They are also usually more expensive.

The best boxes for the B6 are the MSD SCI (Sport Compact Ignition) and the MSD 6A. The 6A is mostly the least expencive. Expect to pay $140-150 for the 6A. The SCI is more expensive expect to pay about $170.

You can also get both these boxes with a rev limiter. The ones with the rev limiter hav an L at the end of the model number. (6AL,SCIL) expect to pay $230-260 for these units.

You will also need a blaster coil. There are many coils available. I recommend the blaster 3 it runs about $38. The blaster 3 needs to be mounted upright so If you are cramped for space and need to mount it differently the I recomend a High Vibration coil. There are two models of high vibration coils, the blaster HVC and the blaster HVC II. These run about $50-120
    Sounds about what I was thinking.

Any thoughts from the Festiva Gallery?

Karl

Comment

Hopefully soon my aspire will have an MSD 6AL on it....so I'll give you my opinion if it was worth the $30.
      www.dantheoilman.com
      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Dan, that'd be nice. Was that $30 a "special price" or near the real price?

Their new "sport compact" ignition is around $200 I think.

Karl

Comment

Brother gave me the MSD 6AL because he got it for tinting someone's car.

Then I just had to buy the blaster 2 coil.
          www.dantheoilman.com
          AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
          Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
          Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Thanks Dan.

Karl

Comment

Ignition

Mostly ignitions of this type are used when the spark environment becomes more harsh for the spark to ignite the mix. ie higher compression ratio, or forced induction. Whenever you make it harder for the ignition to do it's job, one of these setups is a good idea. You won't find much of a performance increase using just one of these. The increase in hp comes from the very things that make these useful. Typically to increase the ease of spark in a turbo engine you use a smaller gap that is easier for the spark to jump, however that makes a less effective burn. So if you use a system like this you can keep the larger gap, or even make the gap a bit bigger for a better burn, a better burn means more power because you are better utilizing the mix.
              This is why when you use a better ignition on an otherwise stock engine you usually end up with better fuel economy and a smoother running engine, not necessarily more power, now if you change the cam, fueling, compression ratio, or turbo charge the engine, you get your power from that, and these systems just make the mix fire off easier.
              If you want a good explanation of how these work or making the most of your ignition system, I recommend you read the book Optimizing your ignition by Christopher Jacobs, the maker of the Jacobs ignition system, yeah it's kind of him tooting his own horn, but the theory's in the book are sound, and universal.
              Chris Rummel

Comment

Working...
              X